extractor fan switch and separate fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got another question regarding the many switches that im trying to tidy up.......

The the fuse and the switch (2nd and 3rd in from the left in the pic)

Are for an extractor fan fitted to the wall.

Any ideas why the fuse and switch might be installed as separate units and if it might be possible to replace the two with a single switched fcu?

Sponsored Links
The fuse is supplying the fan run on timer. If you remove it the only control will be via the switch, fan ON or OFF

Would it be possible to combine the two into a single switched fcu?
or get rid of the fuse and just run the fan off the switch?

Sponsored Links
Firstly, IS the fan a timer type?
Not sure if it is a timer exactly....
There is a device fitted near the fan called an envirostat...from what i can tell this triggers the fan to automatically switch on and off at certain times. (possibly at given humidity levels)

The other way to control the fan is by using the switch to turn the fan on or off when required

Or, if the fan is wired in some fancy way, and you need a seperate switch and fuse, maybe a grid switch comprising of a switch module and a fuse module will solve the problem.

Not sure if it is a timer exactly....
There is a device fitted near the fan called an envirostat...from what i can tell this triggers the fan to automatically switch on and off at certain times. (possibly at given humidity levels)

The other way to control the fan is by using the switch to turn the fan on or off when required

Ah. So I expect that the fan needs a permanent live to power the envirostat function, and a separate switch so that you can switch on the fan separately to clear the smokle when you have over-done the toast.

Best option would be to use a grid switch that has a fuse and a switch module. You should get that in a 1 gang module.

If I were you, I would replace that whole mess with a grid switch/fuse set up for all of the functions, plus a double socket.

Something like this. you can have whatever combination of fuses and switches all in one plate

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
How exactly did you arrive at that conclusion?

Kind Regards, John

Have you ever arrived anywhere, without wondering "how did I get here?"

Edit - spel in corrected

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back