Bathroom "false ceiling"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just moved into a new house, which has recently had a new bathroom installed.

The bathroom walls are finished in the plastic panelling stuff which seems fine, but they appear to have also installed a false ceiling from a similar plastic moulding that looks sort of like this:

http://files.hillplan-building.com/200001565-30ec931e65/plastic_ceiling.gif

Which is installed about 6-8" below the original ceiling height.

The issue with it, is that the ceiling isnt attached to the walls properly, theres essentially a gap of a few mm's round all the edges, and i'm concerned that steam/moisture from the bathroom will find its way into the void above the plastic ceiling and cause problems over the longer term.

How exactly are these PVC ceilings supposed to be installed?

Sponsored Links
haha fair enough.

I will need to try and pull a corner of it down and see what the state of the roof above is like.

I'm guessing the wall coverings dont go all the way up to the original ceiling height so i probably wouldnt be able to just remove the existing junk and made good the original ceiling.

I guess i could potentially remove the plastic crap and put up a timber frame and install a plasterboard ceiling at the same height?

Sponsored Links
haha fair enough.

I will need to try and pull a corner of it down and see what the state of the roof above is like.

I'm guessing the wall coverings dont go all the way up to the original ceiling height so i probably wouldnt be able to just remove the existing junk and made good the original ceiling.

I guess i could potentially remove the plastic crap and put up a timber frame and install a plasterboard ceiling at the same height?

You could but why not see what's there first?

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back