Erecting a False Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to fit a false ceiling in a very high bedroom. There are 2 brick walls and 2 stud walls and we need to have approx. 2foot drop. What is the best way to secure the new ceiling which will be plasterboard. Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
drill and fix a perimeter bearer plate to the solid walls then fill in at 400mm centres. screw to the timber uprights on the stud walls

you could use say 100 x 50mm timber provided you sprag it to the existing ceiling at centre span.

Thanks for the reply but what is a pressure plate and a spragg, sounds like a whole new language to me.

Sponsored Links
baymare said:
See what I mean, don't know my pressure from my bearer.

I'm not a builder but in case one doesn't come to your rescue I'll offer the following:

You need to fix new ceiling joists of 4x2" timber at the required height. You do so by fixing timber along two opposite sides (the bearer plate) and attach the new joists either by skew screwing them to the bearer plate or by using joist hangers. For a wide span you'd need to tie these joists to the existing ceiling by having some sort of vertical member between the old and the new joists.

That'll keep you thinking until an expert arrives here....

Thanks a lot Wabbitpoo, I have the idea now. I'm going away to work on that vertical member!!!!!!!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back