Bathroom fan light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a light with inline fan that allows replacement of fan post installation (e.g. if it breaks) through the opening in ceiling?

I would like to fit a light with integrated fan in a (tiny) bathroom. Problem is while there is plenty of space above ceiling to fit this now (ceilings droped), there is no way to access it from above once the ceiling is back up.

Only other alternative is separate fan and light but it really is a tiny bathroom (2.46m x 0.9m) so it will all look a bit crowded.

Sponsored Links
If you have an existing 4 inch (100mm) inline fan in the ceiling then I am assuming that it is connected to a vent kit? If so then you could try the following system if you want to replace the whole thing:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MRSL100TC.html

Or do you just want to fit a light into an existing extraction vent?
If so the have a look at this: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGSLW.html

Boxing in an inline fan may be a problem when it comes to repairs etc but it sounds like you don't have too many options. You may want to nominate an area of ceiling for future maintenance (make sure it is clear of noggins/joists such that you can remove the plaster board to gain access)

You should also make sure that you have a double pole isolator switch somewhere accessible.

I have not posted many times on this forum so I hope posting links is OK?
If not then I apologize and will not do it again.

Thanks. At the moment, there is nothing - no ceiling, just joists and opening above, its not been boarded yet.
My two options are either separate fan which can then be removed or a fan and a light in which case I have to be able to remove the fan through the light fitting cutout.

In which case I have not seen a combo fan that will allow you to do this.

The in-line fans all have an enclosure attached which makem too large to pass through a 100mm dia hole.
In any event, the fan needs to be screwed to something solid or it will flop around under the centrifugal force (not that those fans have much!).

Your best bet would be a regular 100mm fan with a separate light close to it.

Sponsored Links
The "tiny" bathroom comment and saving room by having an integrated light in the shower makes me think that the whole ceiling is essentially in zone 1....

I hope its not low enough to be in zone 0 :)

Not quite :). Its Zone 1 most of it but nothing is zone 0 - ceiling is heigh enough - its just that room is very narrow and quite long (2.46m x 1m)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back