Bathroom Fan - location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Where is the best place to put them? It's an inline type with just the grill in the ceiling.

View media item 78201
Aesthetically, I think it would look best above the toilet, because from bottom left corner to top right corner (looking from above) you'd have a straight line of shower head > light > fan.

Ideally I would have had it above the bath, but central to the bath is a joist above so having it off center might look a bit naff - especially as the shower head is ceiling mounted, which we just got away with because it's only a 15mm pipe through the ceiling.

I read a post from 2005 that said the furthest place away from natural ventilation, which would be tricky for me as I have 2 windows, so it would be right next to the light - which is also screwed to a joist so the fan would be mis-alinged there too!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How do you get into the room, through a window?

Any chance of showing where the door is. That will be a key item for the fan location.

Ha ha, whoops!

The door, is between the bath and vanity unit, on the 'bottom' wall.

It's not central to the room though - from left wall to architrave is 900mm, from right wall to architrave is 700mm. Looking from above.

I read a post from 2005 that said the furthest place away from natural ventilation, which would be tricky for me as I have 2 windows, so it would be right next to the light - which is also screwed to a joist so the fan would be mis-alinged there too!
That's only true if the windows do represent the source of 'natural ventilation' (i.e. if one or both are usually open - in which case you probably wouldn't need a fan, anyway!). If, as is far more common, the window(s) are nearly always closed, the main source of 'natural ventilation' (for the fan to draw fresh air from) is usually under/around the door.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Ah I see. At the moment the windows are open. Come winter though they'll be closed.

Ah I see. At the moment the windows are open. Come winter though they'll be closed.
As I said, when window(s) are open, the fan probably isn't very important, anyway. It's when the windows are closed that you want to optimise fan performance and, as I said, that will usually be achieved by positioning it as far as possible from the door.

Kind Regards, John

The steam will come from the shower/bath area. The smells from the toilet.

I wouldnt worry about the fan position not being central. I'd put it above the bath wherever practical, keep the fitting white to blend in with the ceiling colour, nobody looks up at the ceiling anyways.

Too late! Got a chrome one already.

Might see if they'll replace the grill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back