Bathroom extractor fan position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will shortly be in the progress of redoing our bathroom which currently doesn't have an extractor fan. Because of this we have had little bits of condensation gathering on the ceiling in the 2 of the corners causing a smidgen of damp. One of the patches is directly above the bath, the other on the opposite corner by the toilet.

I have put a picture below of a rough layout of the bathroom, dimension wise it is 2.6m(L) x 1.7m(D) x 2.4m(H) so just over 10 cubic metres.

Initially the plan was to fit the fan above the bath with a run on timer, however looking online it seems that this may not allow sufficient air movement between the fan and the door, therefore I wanted to check to see if it would be best to possibly position it above the toilet?

2 sides are outside walls, however it is a single storey extension with a flat roof so a fan with ducting into the ceiling space is a no go.

I would welcome any feedback or suggestions on the above as I want to make sure that it is positioned in the best possible place to minimise condensation.

Thanks

bathroom.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your furthest point from the door (air inlet point), would be over the toilet on external wall as high up as possible.
The required performance level of extraction, would be about 22 litres per second

I have done the same in my bathroom. The fan is an in-line duct fan in the loft, but the ceiling grille is over the loo.

Sponsored Links
however it is a single storey extension with a flat roof so a fan with ducting into the ceiling space is a no go.
Could you not vent through the roof ?. Roof mounted extractor fans with weather proof coverings and water tight seals to the roof are available. The only down side is some noise from heavy rain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back