Bathroom Fan with timer on a fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i wonder if someone could offer some guidance please.

The instructions for the replacement fan which I have bought for my bathroom states that it should be fitted to a 3A fused Spur, sounds fair enough. However, it starts to get a little more complicated when you consider that the fan has a timer and is switched via the bathroom light.

I have looked at the setup in the reference stickies, specifically;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=65107#65107
The wiring matches this currently but i am unsure of the best solution.

The way i see it there are two options:
1) Add 'the fuse' to the permanent live and neutral, obviously this would mean that the switched live is not protected so maybe not the best solution? Is it necessary/usual to protect this as it is only used for switching?
2) Add 'the fuse' to the incoming live and neutral so that everything is protected by the fuse, obviously this means that the bathroom lighting is also protected by the 3A fuse (3A should be sufficient still), not necessarily a problem but certainly not conventional.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated please!

Thanks.
Neil[/url]

Sponsored Links
3) Replace the light switch with a double pole one - use one pole for the light, and to the other take a permanent live via the FCU, then from that pole you'll have both permanent and switched live protected by the 3A fuse.

fanwiringbw3.jpg

If you make it a switched FCU then it'll remove the need for a 3-pole fan isolation switch.

Whatever you do though, as soon as you add any new cabling then the work becomes notifiable, and it should be RCD protected.

I have seen this query before and seem to remember in the end they rang the manufacturer would told them it did not need fusing if supplied from a lighting circuit already protected to 6 amp or less. You would need to ring manufacturer to confirm this is case with your unit.
Nearly all ceiling roses and many other items used in lighting are only rated at 5/6 amp so most lighting circuits are also limited to 5/6 amp.
With two supplies i.e. loop and switch you can't really fit a single fuse the only option would be to fuse the whole supply to bathroom lamp which would not be so easy if not end of line.
Also if not already on a RCD any new wiring and items in a bathroom will require RCD protection so although I have said fitting an FCU to whole bathroom light supply is not so easy it may be required to fit a RCD FCU if not already RCD protected to comply with BS7671:2008
Eric

Sponsored Links
With two supplies i.e. loop and switch you can't really fit a single fuse the only option would be to fuse the whole supply to bathroom lamp which would not be so easy if not end of line.
fanwiringbw3.jpg

Also if not already on a RCD any new wiring and items in a bathroom will require RCD protection
Bathroom circuits require it. If you are not creating a new circuit then there's no requirement to bring it up to the latest standard. New regulations are not retroactive - they only apply to the new work that you do.

I was lead to understand any additions to a circuit require to be to BS7671:2008 but where a like for like replacement is used you may still comply with previous edition.
So if you add a socket the new socket will need to be to BS7671:2008 but old sockets can still be to BS7671:2001
Because of the problems with 522 and cables in a wall a spur from an existing socket which is not RCD protected would have to use Ali-tube cable and be RCD protected.
If the fan in the bathroom is a replacement then it can be to BS7671:2001 but if new then has to be to BS7671:2008.
The adding of items in line like switches is a little uncertain but looking and for example changing a consumer unit and having to ensure all after the consumer unit complies with BS7671:2008 I would think the same applies when adding an switch or isolator. However having said that the "Electrical Safety Council" still instructs on how to deal with lighting circuits with no earths which goes a lot further back than previous edition and points out some common sense must be used and where to correct it would require a re-wire then some lee way is permitted.
But it is a bathroom with will require a completion certificate under part p for any alterations only a like for like replacement is allowed without first going through LABC and to swap light switches for double pole or add isolators inside the bathroom would require either a part p registered electrician or LABC involvement. I would assume the isolator would be outside the bathroom so one could get away with that. Light switch pull cord inside bathroom would not get away without Part P completion cert being required.

However I was reading it as a direct replacement and the only point was manufacturer asking for 3 amp rather than 5/6 amp protection which on the last time this was raised was intended only when not being powered from light circuit and on a phone call the manufacturer confirmed when being run from the lights the existing 5/6 amp protection was OK. So first step is a phone call and only if the manufacture says 5/6 amp protection is not allowed would any of the measures be required.

I do like the idea of double pole switch and I had started to write my reply before you had posted yours so only after I posted did I see what you suggested. And full marks it would work well for you who can sign his own completion cert but I have not got that ability and neilcmitchell is also unlikely to be able to issue a completion cert either! Also my light switch is one of three and to do your conversion would require a grid switch to get a double pole, two way, and on/off switch all on one plate. If I was doing that then think I would extend hole and fit double plate which could house a fuse holder in same plate then.

Eric

I've never fitted a 3 amp fuse for an extract fan. If a manufacturer insists his product requires such then it's unsuitable and impractical for general use in this country.

If you do want to do it, I'd consider replacing the terminal block inside the fan with one that includes a fuse carrier, like the type found in some florescent fittings.

I was lead to understand any additions to a circuit require to be to BS7671:2008 but where a like for like replacement is used you may still comply with previous edition.
Yes - additions do.

But the requirement is for bathroom circuits to be RCD protected, not accessories or appliances in the bathroom.

So if you add a circuit to a bathroom, your new circuit needs to be RCD'd, but if you add items to an existing bathroom circuit then that existing bathroom circuit can be left as it was.

So if you add a socket the new socket will need to be to BS7671:2008 but old sockets can still be to BS7671:2001
I'm glad you mentioned that, as I was going to use it as an analogy anyway.

You see your position there is logical and consistent with mine regarding the bathroom, but not with yours.

The requirement is for all socket outlets to be RCD protected, not socket circuits, so when you add outlets to an existing circuit your new additions need to comply but you don't need to bring the existing outlets up to the current standard.

Likewise because it is bathroom circuits that now require an RCD, unless your new addition is a new bathroom circuit you don't have to add an RCD.

Because of the problems with 522 and cables in a wall a spur from an existing socket which is not RCD protected would have to use Ali-tube cable and be RCD protected.
Yup - again that's a case of your new additions which have to comply - hence my comment above about new cabling, on the assumption that it would be concealed, and therefore need an RCD because of its concealment, not because it was in a bathroom. If it were surface mounted then it wouldn't need an RCD, even though in a bathroom because it's not a new circuit.

If the fan in the bathroom is a replacement then it can be to BS7671:2001 but if new then has to be to BS7671:2008.
Fine.

Find me what the regulations are for bathroom fans in the 17th.

Not bathroom circuits - one of those is not being added - bathroom fans.

The adding of items in line like switches is a little uncertain
Not if you clarify your thinking and ask yourself "what am I adding, and what are the regulations which apply to that alone?"

but looking and for example changing a consumer unit and having to ensure all after the consumer unit complies with BS7671:2008
You can't possibly do that, so if you really believe you have to then you can no longer change CUs. Actually, you could never have done so, because you could never ensure that an existing installation complied with the version of the regulations current at the time you were changing the CU.

I would think the same applies when adding an switch or isolator.
The regulations which apply to switches and isolators are to be followed in respect of any switches and isolators you install.

However having said that the "Electrical Safety Council" still instructs on how to deal with lighting circuits with no earths which goes a lot further back than previous edition and points out some common sense must be used and where to correct it would require a re-wire then some lee way is permitted.
A position predicated on there being no requirement to update anything already installed. If there were an explicit regulation requiring an update then they could not give that advice, could they.

But it is a bathroom with will require a completion certificate under part p
That's a red herring, for as we all know Part P does not require compliance with any version of the Wiring Regulations.

for any alterations only a like for like replacement is allowed without first going through LABC
Please show us where the phrase "like for like", or an equivalent thereof, appears in the Building Regulations.

and to swap light switches for double pole
Replacing switches is exempt - it says so in Schedule 2B.

or add isolators inside the bathroom would require either a part p registered electrician or LABC involvement.
Yes - that is so.

I would assume the isolator would be outside the bathroom so one could get away with that. Light switch pull cord inside bathroom would not get away without Part P completion cert being required.
If there was one already there then replacing it would not be notifiable - it says so in Schedule 2B.

However I was reading it as a direct replacement
So was I, so replacing it would not be notifiable - it says so in Schedule 2B.

and the only point was manufacturer asking for 3 amp rather than 5/6 amp protection which on the last time this was raised was intended only when not being powered from light circuit and on a phone call the manufacturer confirmed when being run from the lights the existing 5/6 amp protection was OK. So first step is a phone call and only if the manufacture says 5/6 amp protection is not allowed would any of the measures be required.
I'd advise a letter or an email, so as to get the response in writing, as I sometimes wonder if the manufacturers stipulate a 3A fuse knowing that people won't bother and they'll have a way to slide out from any warranty commitments.

Also there's 134.1.1 - it would be good to have a written amendment to the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment..... ;)

I do like the idea of double pole switch and I had started to write my reply before you had posted yours so only after I posted did I see what you suggested.
Sorry - been there myself....

And full marks it would work well for you who can sign his own completion cert
I can sign EICs, but not Building Regulations completion certificates.

but I have not got that ability and neilcmitchell is also unlikely to be able to issue a completion cert either!
Just replacing a switch doesn't require one...

I've never fitted a 3 amp fuse for an extract fan. If a manufacturer insists his product requires such then it's unsuitable and impractical for general use in this country.
You have to follow the manufacturers instructions to comply with the fundamental requirements of BS7671:2008.
The last ones I installed ended up with a FCU on the supply to the light + fan, and a 3 pole isolator for the fan. Both in a double enclosure above the bathroom door (option 2 in the O/P basically).
If you do want to do it, I'd consider replacing the terminal block inside the fan with one that includes a fuse carrier, like the type found in some florescent fittings.
How does that work with a timer flavoured fan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back