Bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would appreciate some help with this.

I have a timed bathroom fan, it is in the loft space. Currently it is wired through a double pole isolating switch that is high on the wall outside the bathroom (3amp fuse), all the wires including the permanent live for the timer are on the isolated side of the switch. The switched live is then operated by a pull cord in the bathroom, ordinary one way light switch kind. I've checked in the loft and this is wired like a lightswitch in the junction box up there, ie pulling the cord makes or breaks the switched live to the fan

This is all fine, it works well. the only problem is if your not paying attention it's possible to not know if the pull cord is on or off and this can lead to a bit of trial and error as to whether the fan's on, or on but in it's timed phase which can be a bit annoying with the fan droning on for hours while I eff about with the switch.

All I seem to need is a pull cord switch with a tally lamp so I know whether it's on or off, can anyone tell me if i can get one and can I simply swap the pull cord switch or if it's more complicated than that, ie, does it need a neutral connection to run the lamp as obviously all I have in the bathroom is the switched live.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Visit the link that BAS gave you, it has the exact answer you're after, courtesy of RF Lighting - Thanks again!

Thanks gents, good advice as always. I will go for the neon. Moving the FCU to make it more accesible would work but involves much chopping of plaster, rewiring and general swearing, bit of a sledge hammer to crack a nut really. The neon's simple and easily done with just some minor coughing and thrashing about in the loft :D.

Flick the FCU off and on. If the fan comes back on switch is closed, if not it's open. :)

I find, if you arrange it, that having the fan and light linked is a good way of knowing.

You could change the fan control to a humidistat and just let it control itself.

2nd option good.

1st option means that the fan comes on if you just go in there to wash your hands when it's dark....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back