Bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom fan that requires replacing as becoming quite noisy. The original is an Emma, had it for years, but I’ve bought a Vent-Axia VASF100B as a replacement. Wired it as per the instructions, but fan doesn’t work when switched on. Outside the bathroom, there is a separate rectangular box with a timer dial as well as a separate isolator switch. Everything lights up when powered up, but there doesn’t seem to be any power to the fan. Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Wired incorrectly ,duff fan maybe ,loose connection ,how about you post pics ?

You could test the fan if you have a plug and two pieces of wire to terminate into the fan (fan first) as a temporary power source to be certain it works if it works then this would point to the wiring to the old fan wiring being defective or incorrectly wired unless the isolator has a fuse that could perhaps be blown?

Sponsored Links
Done some checks and tests. The fan is 12v, hence the reason it won’t work. The one I bought is 240v.
Can I use the current wiring to bypass the 12v transformer and run the 240v one from the isolation switch? I don’t think the 12v is powerful enough.

Can I use the current wiring to bypass the 12v transformer and run the 240v one from the isolation switch?
  1. What type of cable runs from the transformer to the fan?
  2. Your existing fan has a timed overrun. Are you aware that you've bought one without that feature?

I don’t think the 12v is powerful enough.
There is absolutely nothing intrinsically wrong with 12V fans.

Currently the cable is 3 core T&E. The earth isn’t used at the fan, just sheathed and tucked away.

I am aware that the fan I bought doesn’t have an overrun. I’ve taken it back and bough the ‘T’ model which has a timer. I don’t reslly want to rewire as the cable runs under the loft floor which has been converted to a bedroom and would mean taking up the carpets and quite a lot of upheaval.

Done some checks and tests. The fan is 12v, hence the reason it won’t work. The one I bought is 240v.
Can I use the current wiring to bypass the 12v transformer and run the 240v one from the isolation switch? I don’t think the 12v is powerful enough.

Find out what all cable(s) run between the transformer to the fan and from the power source, if you have three core and earth 1/1.5mm you should be ok.

The Isolator switch i'd hope to be a wider double pole type for three core cable but without pictures it's just a pure guess - so find out. One of the wires will be a switched live and the other a permanent live for overrun/timer

Last edited:
I’ve been and bought another 12v fan, seemed the easiest option. Thanks for the help advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back