1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Bathroom Fan

Discussion in 'DIY Disasters' started by DaveHewy, 27 Jan 2020.

1. DaveHewy

DaveHewy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    After noticing my bathroom fan was not doing a great job, I noticed that there is no outside vent for the damp air to escape. It simply funnels into the wall between the bricks!
    Now I'm no expert, but that's got to be a problem right?
    Is there any situation where this would be acceptable or do I need to get someone in ASAP to fix this?
    Thanks for any advice!
    Dave

2. Sponsored Links
  3. plastic_peanut

plastic_peanut

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nope get it sorted. You want it venting outside through the wall or through the roof.

4. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could buy or hire a core drill to go through the exterior skin. The core bit can be purchased for about 30 quid, and whilst not ideal a cheap (£50) large SDS drill (4Kg and upwards) will be more than enough to drill through softer bricks. additionally you may need a suitably sized drill bit to predrill the hole for the centre pin on the diamond core bit. BTW do not use hammer action on the drill when using the diamond core.

You can then sell the core bit and keep or sell the drill.

Just make sure that there is an isolating point for the fan before you disconnect it, and then check to make sure that the isolating point does indeed isolate the fan.

After drilling the hole you will need some ducting and an exterior shutter.

Sponsored Links