Bathroom Fans - All pretty much same size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I thinking of replaying my bathroom fan, as a) it doesn't seem to do much, b) its loud, and c) doesn't look very good. See here..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb5nqnfr4vn435r/image1.JPG?dl=0

This is a new build house (about 6 months ago) if that helps, and the fan vents straight to the outside through the wall. I want to replace with a Airflow Icon as they have good reviews and they look closed when off. Are all fans pretty much the same in terms of fitment? Ie can i replace my current one with an Airflow one? Direct replacement in terms of fitment and wiring? Which airflow one should i go with? I want the most powerful one really as we all have really long showers here.

Thanks guys
:)

Sponsored Links
Well it looks like a 4" fan, so in terms of the duct, it's likely the same size. As for the actual size, it's impossible to say without measuring.

If this one stays on after you turn the light off, then you want one with an overrun timer to replicate this.

Wiring should be a straight forward swap, live, neutral and switched live

the fan vents straight to the outside through the wall.

I want the most powerful one

You probably don't want the most powerful one, as it will be noisy and expensive. The most powerful fans are only needed when they connect to lots of ducting; one of mine goes into a vertical duct that goes up 4 storeys to a rooftop vent!

Can you find a model number on that fan? If you can, Google it and see what flow rate they claim. I am surprised that it is ineffective. Is there sufficient gap under the door for replacement air to come in?

Thanks. Will take some measurements and look up the model and report back.

Plenty of of air we always open the windows when showering etc, but it still steams up a lot.

I'll be back...

Sponsored Links
Plenty of of air we always open the windows when showering etc, but it still steams up a lot.
I have fitted an Airflow Icon 15 to my own utility and shower room - works a treat and very quiet.
You might want to add the timer module for fan over-run although this may involve extra wiring.
One other thing, I am sure I read somewhere that opening the window, especially when it is cold outside, works against the fan. Could be wrong of course.
If you do go for the Airflow Icon model then you need to have a little bit of patience for the vent to open, generally 45 seconds.

I have fitted an Airflow Icon 15 to my own utility and shower room - works a treat and very quiet.
You might want to add the timer module for fan over-run although this may involve extra wiring.
One other thing, I am sure I read somewhere that opening the window, especially when it is cold outside, works against the fan. Could be wrong of course.
If you do go for the Airflow Icon model then you need to have a little bit of patience for the vent to open, generally 45 seconds.

Ok thanks for the feedback. The current fan has overrun (linked to the room light) so I'm assuming the wiring will be the same?

Ok thanks for the feedback. The current fan has overrun (linked to the room light) so I'm assuming the wiring will be the same?
Indeed it should be - just photograph and mark the current wires against their terminal markings and match them to the new fan.
You can pick up the Icon 15 plus timer for around £50 now - a lot less than when I bought it a few years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back