Bathroom Floating - Bonding vs Hardwall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a bathroom to float out. Over brick I would usually use hardwall.

However, there is quite a bit of plasterboard that is not plumb and or at a good 90 with the adjacent wall and its a full tile so needs floating. There is also a ceiling with an angle that needs overtacking and a curve smoothing out the angle.

Normally for all this in any other room I would use Bonding. However, I've been warned against using Bonding in a bathroom ( Steve the SPreader ;)) and so have always used Hardwall.

The problem is I was under the impression that hardwall should not be used on plasterboard.

Would it be best to use bonding then grit it with WBA or similar then skim?

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
I've done many bathrooms and kitchen using Bonding coat over the years, plastering onto brick, block and normal/foil backed plasterboard. My own bathroom and kitchen is done with Bonding coat, prepped and coated onto 1970's Browning plaster, and still looking as good today. While I understand where all this is coming from, with adequate ventiliation, there will be no problem at all.
If you have a bathroom/kitchen, or any other room plastered with Bonding, that's full of steam day in day out, week in week out, no ventilation etc, or the room suffers from permanant damp, then that's a different kettle of fish,, but having a bath/showers, or boiling a kettle/ boiling vegetables etc for a while each day with ventilation etc, will cause no problems whatsoever. Oh,, and dont use hardwall on plasterboard either. wink:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back