Bathroom floor in chipboard - BS No. ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help.

One of my customers has just had an extension built. I've gone in to quote for a new bathroom and commented that the floor has been layed in chipboard and as they are going to tile it it's not ideal.

She's now having an arguement with the builders trying to get them to change it. Is there a british standard for bathrrom floors?

Sponsored Links
It is quite normal for new houses to be built with chipboard floors throughout. Flooring chipboard is made to a BS for that purpose. In bathrooms it should preferably be the green, water-resistant type. I believe the Standard is EN 312. Grades P5 and P7, are the two moisture-resistant grades, but I am no expert. If you want your house built with better materials you have to ask for it and pay for it.

It is also quite normal for homeowners to curse their cheapskate builders after ten years or so as they rip out the cracked or crumbling rubbish and replace it with a better, but more expensive, material such as WBP ply.

Just a JohnD says

I'm just starting a couple of bathrooms in a new extension and I specifically asked the builders NOT to lay chipboard but to use flooring grade plywood which is ideal as I can tile straight onto it.

If your client does want it changed than get her to ask for "Sprucefloor" made by Wisa or equal, this comes in 2400x600 sheets, 22mm thick same size as the chipboard and has the same type of T&G profile so it does not need noggins under the joints like plain WPB ply. But its not unreasonable for her to have to pay for this, lifting the chipboard and laying the ply.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back