Bathroom Floor / subfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

i have taken out my old bathroom to be replaced. I took up the tiles that were on the floor and the chipboard/ply/hardboard or whatever was under them due to damage when removing tiles. I now have exposed floorboards. I think we are going to put down some lino as a finish rather than tiles. What do i put down over the floorboards? Does it need to be external grade/water resistant? Do i need to put anything down if we are using lino? I presume some kind of underlay would be required.

Is it a measure of good practice to use one rather than another?

thanks in advance for any advice...

Sponsored Links
Hi, I put down hardboard before laying lino in mine to level out the bumps.

Uneven surfaces will show through lino.

Are you using individual tiles or a sheet of lino?

Cheers

G

not sure about the final finish yet. Does the hardboard have to be a certain thickness? or water resistant or anything like that?

You only need water proof sub floor if top covering isn't .vynyl is waterproof.

Sponsored Links
From memory it was 3 or 4 mm thick. Not sure about the waterproofing, probably not an issue with sheet lino. I just used ordinary hardboard from Wickes.

Not so sure about tiles, if you used tiles and properly sealed it then it might not matter.

I've not used tiles myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back