bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new first floor bathroom. I have been told not to use chipboard as it isn`t stable enough if it gets wet. However I am exposing the joists below this floor and therefore can`t use noggins at the joints of the boarding above, `cos they will show below. Any ideas, or do I have to use floorboarding in this situation?

Sponsored Links
Exterior plywood is best for bathroom and the floor tiles like it as well if you're having now or later in the future!

masona said:
Exterior plywood is best for bathroom and the floor tiles like it as well if you're having now or later in the future!
If I use ply, how do I support the joints , or do they make tongue and groove ply? I can`1t use noggins as they will show below. Bob

edge said:
I can`1t use noggins as they will show below. Bob
This is the bit I don't understand, are you saying you have no ceiling below ?

Sponsored Links
masona said:
edge said:
I can`1t use noggins as they will show below. Bob
This is the bit I don't understand, are you saying you have no ceiling below ?
No; I am exposing the beams in the room below, so there won`t be enough space between the plasterboards and the underneath of the flooring to fit noggins.

Join it on the centre of the joists and where you can't maybe a 2"x1" underneath with screws from the top of the plywood and screw the next plywood to it.

masona said:
Join it on the centre of the joists and where you can't maybe a 2"x1" underneath with screws from the top of the plywood and screw the next plywood to it.
Cheers! Thats what I thought as the only solution, I don`t have to expose the whole depth of the joists so it should be o/k. Bob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back