Bathroom floor - iroko T&G on top of 19mm P5 Green chipb

Wood you like, just to double check...

Use a product like B92 (Stycobond) or Lecol5500.

I've lifted the chip and put down 18mm ply would the B92 or Lecol5500 still be suitable for glueing?

From looking on the web it looks like to goes down like tile adhesive and you place boards on top and push them into place? What happens if the board is slightly "off" and with nailing you could wedge it flush then secure it, what would you do with glueing?

Sponsored Links
Hi efj

Both brands are indeed suitable. You use a notched trowel to spread the adhesive out and stick the boards on it - the T&G's will keep everything in place.
Slightly off boards shouldn't happen with good quality products.

Sounds like a lot less hassle compared to nailing. Any particular depth of adhesive - though I assume the tin it comes in will have instructions?!

Cheers

The notch trowel will have its particular depth, use a middle one: 1000 or 1200 gr/sq m.

Sponsored Links
On the home straight but I seem to be having a slight problem with the osmo wax.

1) T&G boards down
2) 120 grit sand with orbital sander
3) Osmo wood protector applied and dried in 24 hrs
4) 1st coat of "Wood wax extra thin" (very thin layer) applied with a brush 11am sunday. I didn't work it in with a cloth :confused: , just brushed it on in direction grain. Door left open and window on latch so plenty of ventilation
5) 8am this morning and still ever so slightly tacky to touch.

I called osmo UK who think that either
1) It hasn't fully dried and I should give it bit more time - it was a wet weekend in glasgee.
2) If I can scrape the wax off with my nail then the wax has not penetrated the board and I should sand it back and apply it again but work it in a bit more with a cloth rather than just brushing on.

So my questions are:
1) Would a light sand with 120 grit would be sufficient to get the layer off?
2) When I apply the final Polyx hardwax oil coat (a thin layer) I assume I should also work this is in with a cloth rather than just brushing.

I would wait a little bit longer. As discussed before: tropical wood are oily of themselves and it can take a while longer before the applied oil dries

WYL, thanks for the advice.

I'll give it 48hrs until Tuesday morning. As this then takes me past the 36hrs recommend for applying the final coat I assume a light sand would be needed - 120 grit do or something a finer?

Do you think working the final oil in with a cloth during application isn't needed?

Floor looks great at the minute! so on the verge of being chuffed to bits.

efj said:
I'll give it 48hrs until Tuesday morning. As this then takes me past the 36hrs recommend for applying the final coat I assume a light sand would be needed - 120 grit do or something a finer?

Hmm, never worked with the thin wood wax ourselves, so not sure about the need to lightly sand here.
What you could do however is - if you have a buffing machine or non-fluffy cloth - to try in one area if buffing would speed up the drying process a bit.

OK, if it's not dry will try bufffing a small test area. Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back