Bathroom Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a set of bathroom chipped wood floorboards (large younger and groove type) as they have deteriorated due to contact with water. The vinyl floor had a split. The boards seem like the regular type.

Should I replace these with the moisture resistant chipped wood floor boards? I will be laying vinyl over the top again.

Sponsored Links
Waterproof chipboard is fine, use the same thickness obviously. Usually coated on one side and green on the other, it still doesn't like getting wet!
John :)

Thanks John.
I was thinking of removing all the boards up to the bath panel (save me having to remove these) and then replace these but its dawned on me that using a multi cutter all the way around the bath to cut these boards out could be a mammoth effort. Do you have any advice on how I approach this please.

Can someone please advise me on the above? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Buy a plunge saw to cut them out.
But a mutli saw will do it just takes time.
Or pay someone to do it for you.

Is there a particular multisaw blade that is suited for this task?

others may have wider experience, but with a multicutter, I found the "finger" blades more suited to an up-and-down cut (and more likely to go through pipes underneath) and the half-round blade is better for a long, straight cut where you can control the depth of cut better.

A circular saw, set to 18mm, is best for a long cut, but won't reach the ends and internal corners. The multicutter will do those.

You can do it with a backsaw, but it's hard work.

Thanks guys. I have one of these on my Makita multi saw and when I tested it recently, it was hard work! Admittedly, the blade isn't the sharpest, so I will replace that.
I know there are other types of blades (different shapes) and wanted advice on that please.

I do also own a Makita Circular saw but as I am cutting up to the bath panels, I couldn't see how this could be used.
On a related note, I also have a Recip saw but don't see a use for that in this project.

Attachments

• BLADE.png
    BLADE.png
    184 KB · Views: 215
this shape. When it starts to go blunt you rotate the tool a bit to use a fresh section. It has a shallower cut than the "finger" blades.

s-l1600.jpg

(I have no knowledge of this particular supplier)

Been thinking about this and wondering if I should use my circular saw - set to the depth of the floor boards.

There are 2 options as I see them.
1. Push saw up against bath panel and cut boards here. Concerned about the joint and the vinyl flooring bending into this over time.
2. Remove bath panels and cut under here.

Can I have your thoughts please

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back