Bathroom heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am looking for a bathroom heater but all I can find is the downflow kind which Im not keen on as I would prefer to have the heater at the bottom of the wall like a radiator. We dont have central heating so this is no an option.

Any advise/links would be much apprecaited

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Dimplex IPX or Apollo ranges, they are rated IPX4 (splashproof, subject to location in zones)

Thinking about it I think I will go for the down heater, they are alot cheaper! :)

Out of interest, when i get the electrcian in to install it should I expect him to put it on its own circuit? I only ask because if this is the case I will need to upgrade the consumer unit because it is already full.

I also plan to install a lighted mirror which has 6 x 10w max G4 halogen bulbs, will this need its own circuit aswell? thanks for you time

Hello Blunda.
Do your existing circuits have rcd protection ?

The mirror may be able to be 'fed' off the existing lighting circuit.
The 'supply' for the heater may be able to be 'fed' off an existing power circuit, depending on the current rating.

Regards
Ed

Sponsored Links
Yes they are. I have one RCD and 4 MCBs. One for lights one for sockets (I live in a flat) One for Cooker and one for shower.

Im not sure what the current rating is for the MCBs what rating should the heater and lights run off, bearing in mind that 2kh for a heater appears to be the norm?

IF you have a ring circuit available AND it is RCD protected, you can fit a FCU to feed the heater.

Yeah, the sockets and lights are on a loop.

Would the FCU need to be outside the bathroom though?

Just to get things straight, I attach the heater to the FCU then the FCU to the Socket ring. Can the lights be connected directly to the light ring? It will have 6 x 10w max G4 halogen bulbs. Thanks for the advise! much appreciated.

stick 8 x 50W halogen downlighters in the ceiling, there's 400W of heating right there, then stick an electric towel rad on the wall like most other people do..

if it's still a bit nippy, try electric an under tile heating mat..

Unfortunatly the down lights are not an option as I live in a flat, I dont think the tenants above us would appreciate me ripping their floor boards up to wire them! When I said lights i meant mirror lights, sorry :)

I will be installing an electric towel rail at sum point but dont want to rely on it for heating because ite will be covered in towels most of the time so the heat will be blocked. Thanks for the suggestion tho

I would still like an answer to my previous question.

So I attach the heater to the FCU then the FCU to the Socket ring, does the FCU need to be outside the bathroom? Can the mirror lights be connected directly to the light ring? It will have 6 x 10w max G4 halogen bulbs. Thanks for the advise! much appreciated."

Out of interest, when i get the electrcian in to install it should I expect him to put it on its own circuit? I only ask because if this is the case I will need to upgrade the consumer unit because it is already full.
When you have electricians round to quote, ask them.

I also plan to install a lighted mirror which has 6 x 10w max G4 halogen bulbs, will this need its own circuit aswell? thanks for you time
When you have electricians round to quote, ask them.

what rating should the heater and lights run off, bearing in mind that 2kh for a heater appears to be the norm?
The electricians who you get round to quote will know.

Would the FCU need to be outside the bathroom though?

Just to get things straight, I attach the heater to the FCU then the FCU to the Socket ring.
No, that's what your electrician does, you know - the one you were talking about when you wrote "when i get the electrcian in".

Can the lights be connected directly to the light ring? It will have 6 x 10w max G4 halogen bulbs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back