Bathroom heating query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just looking for some general advice at the moment regarding the heating in my bathroom. I currently have a small towel rail installed (40cm x 86), but am now really looking for something that will actually heat the bathroom. The main things I'm wondering is, is installing a taller towel rail worthwhile or will this have no impact on the heating of the bathroom at all? Alternatively, could vertical radiators be fitted onto the extising pipes (approx 15mm diameter) as a better option?

Thanks in advance for any pointers and if there are even better options available, I'm happy to hear these also

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20161107_190524381.jpg
    IMG_20161107_190524381.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Work out the area in sq metres and multiply that by 100 and that will give you the heating output in Watts that you need.

Then choose a towel rail with that heat output if you must have a towel rail.

But don't put any towels on it as they only reduce the heat output to virtually zero!

Or fit a radiator with one of those separate rails to fit above it to hang towels. They don't completely cover the radiator and so allow a little heat to get out!

Tony

Sponsored Links
In my experience if you want the room heating, and not just warm towels, then go for a white towel radiator rather than chrome finish. We have both in our home and while the crome ones look nice, they do not kick out anywhere near as much heat into the rooms as the white ones. The heat output from the same radiator can be 50% higher in white than in chrome.

We put the chrome ones in either smaller bathrooms, or rooms with other sources of heatig (underfloor), where we actually want the room to be heated as well as the towels we installed the white ones and went with tall ones, so that we did't block all the heat into the room when we actually put towels on it, there is still a good portion of exposed radiator.

Work out the area in sq metres and multiply that by 100 and that will give you the heating output in Watts that you need.

Then choose a towel rail with that heat output if you must have a towel rail.

But don't put any towels on it as they only reduce the heat output to virtually zero!

Or fit a radiator with one of those separate rails to fit above it to hang towels. They don't completely cover the radiator and so allow a little heat to get out!

Tony

Thanks Tony. Just wondering, with the radiator with the separate rails, do they generally fit onto existing pipework or could I be looking at the potential of new piping?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back