Bathroom hot water runs at a trickle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had the bathroom converted to a shower room and bath /taps removed, now the hot water supply from the wash basin tap(monoblock) has reduced to barely a trickle, is there any way I can resolve this problem without too much cost?

Sponsored Links
your plumber should have told u reducing the pipework to about 8-10 mm (as on most monoblocs) will reduce flow.
i take it its a conventional system (as against a combi)

to solve it u could try diff tap ?
do they do full bore type monoblocs ? i dunno

did the plumber go in the loft...has he caused a blockage in the tank outlet ?
has he opened the gatevalve fully ?

Your plumber may have also fitted a ball valve to the pipe feeding that tap, he may have forgotten to open the valve when the job was finished & that may be restricting the flow.

Thanks for your replies, problem now has extended to the hot water in the kitchen; mixer tap, which also starts off ok then reduces the flow of hot water.By the way the bathroom problem has intensified; now the hot water starts slowly but then after about 20-30 seconds just about ceases except for maybe a slight drip. I may not have mentioned this at the beginning but for the first month or two after our bathroom conversion we didn't any problems with the hot water ,albeit not a fast flow
Hope you guru's out there can help me, it's really annoying.

Sponsored Links
If I'd wanted to spend more money I would have called in a plumber, no does anything for free in this world.

It sounds to me that you have a classic airlock, which commonly happens in this situation. I assume you have a cold water tank? Caused by the pipes not being 'laid to falls' so that the air rises to a point where it can escape. Not a big problem. Connect the cold mains (at the sink, usually) to the hot tap and open both taps for 30 seconds, to force the water and air bubble back up to the tank. Often easily done by fixing a garden hose adapter to the kitchen mixer, putting your thumb over the outlet and turning both hot and cold on. A short length of garden hose on the adapter terminating to a garden hose pistol (turned off) might be a less splashy way to do it!

Does sound like air lock and if so backflushing will sort it. But what is the cause....has the cold feed tank ever run empty..is the make up valve (float v/v) ok does it stick, is it passing enough water..system needs a little look at to prevent it happening again

Please post findings when sorted...thanks

have u checked the cws tank for debri.........floating insulation..that has fallen into the tank can be drawn towards the outlet hole as u run the water and then block it.
when u close the taps its starts to float away and so on ?

have u had a look at the cws (cold water storage) in the loft ? (the larger of possibly two tanks (cisterns really !)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back