Bathroom in Victorian house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if I can get some advice. I have removed the old toilet, shower and wash basin and the lead soil pipe that ran under the floorboards and out to the soil stack on the exterior. I have cut the soil stack using an angle grinder and know that I need a rubber connector for the old pipe to new plastic 110mm piping but not too sure how to configure the new stack. Would this work?

Lead stack - rubber connector - length of 110mm pipe - access branch adjacent to brickwork opening - length of 110mm pipe up to roof for venting

Once I branch off into the bathroom under the floorboards, where should the connection for the toilet be? The joists are already notched for the shower waste so should I use a mechanical pipe boss connection into the 110mm pipework?

Apologies for the crappy diagram.

plumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
The joists are already notched for the shower waste so should I use a mechanical pipe boss connection into the 110mm pipework?

Of more concern ..... how deep are the joists?

If they aren't at least 355mm deep then the joist shouldn't be notched to take a 43mm solvent weld waste pipe, the notch will be way too big and can seriously compromise its strength.

Hi Madrab, the joists are 9 x 3 and only two of them are notched and have been for I don't know how many years prior to me ripping everything out.

I'm getting a plumber in to do first fix but need to sort soil pipe out as my mate is a brickie and offered to build in the soil pipe going to outside. Any advice is gratefully received.

You'll be better off doing a bit of re engineering.
The connection from loo to soil pipe would ideally go out the wall at loo outlet height (minus a wee bit for fall) then access bend into the soil stack (outside).
The shower waste would be better going out the wall then elbow and across to a boss on the side of the soil stack (conveniently well below the loo connection).
Bath waste ditto- neatest might be out the wall and drop to tee into the leg from the shower, other option is elbow and another boss but that might be too close to the loo outlet

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the Stack is lead? You may well find the majority is cast iron, with only the branch from the junction to the WC being lead. It is preferable to try and connect to the cast if possible, lead is very soft and will distort if you're not careful, could be a recipe for disaster at a later date....

Hi chaps, thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay in responding.

I can definitely see how regigging the design so the basin and shower waste come out separately from the toilet waste works better.

The stack is definitely lead and joins cast iron below the flat roof that I've already fibreglassed so would be a major job cutting lower to make the connection. Is there any other connectors that are suitable for lead to plastic? I thought of using the rubber connector and having something solid in there whilst I tighten to the lead. Would that work so as not to compress it?

Take it you've glassed the lead pipe into the roof rather than putting a collar in? There are ways round that, if the stack really is lead you'll struggle for fittings...me I'd have weighed it in by now & put placcie on the top of the cast :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back