Bathroom install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I'm regretting the decision to gut my bathroom lol
I have a few questions that I would love some help with.
I have blocked up a doorway and have osb board on the bathroom side. I am going to dot and dab tile backer board to the walls and was wondering if I could use blue grit on the osb board as its a smooth surface to give it a key for the tile adhesive?

Sponsored Links
Why not post some pics? Show all the walls.

I dont know if you have any framed partitions in the B/R?
Backer board is best screwed to its background

Thanks for the reply. I've bought that wet room board made out of foam they are 2400 by 600. I've taken the wall right back to brick painted a bonding slurry all over it and the instructions state for me to dab and dob to a uneven wall and then mechanically fix also. There's no lights in there at the moment so will upload photo tomorrow. The only part of the wall which doesn't have a nice key for adhesive is where I've blocked up the old door. I shall try and find a photo now

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the try but the pics are not showing?

Whats the name of the foamed board?

I'd get some light in there - any kind of safe temp. lighting will do but dont work in the winter darkness.

Hi all I'm regretting the decision to gut my bathroom lol
I have a few questions that I would love some help with.
I have blocked up a doorway and have osb board on the bathroom side. I am going to dot and dab tile backer board to the walls and was wondering if I could use blue grit on the osb board as its a smooth surface to give it a key for the tile adhesive?
yes you can. but it would be safer to board over it first,
or you can tile straight on to it with the right adhesive. s2

It's 20mm Qboard. Picked it as it was the only one I could get hold of at the time.
I'm putting downlights in there but was going to wait until I've got the board on the wall and I can perfectly space them out. Glad you liked my poor attempt to upload photo. I will take a pic when the subs up tomorrow

I waited to see what kind of boards you intended to use before advising you eg. as I suspected there's no need for blue grit. Your pics will provide more information.

20mm Q board is good stuff for your bathroom. You tile directly on to the boards no prep needed.
Thing is, on each wall the finished surface plane of the boards must be flat and plumb, and form accurate 90* corners.

If you were using this in a newly constructed bathroom extension, could you just fix mechanically to the blockwork. I dont really trust dot n dab. If so, what fixings?

Thanks guys for the help so far. When the dob and dab is dry was going to drill and screw the boards using the washers from the board manufacturers. I shall try some pics again now.

I've painted a bonding slurry all over the wall ready but the osb is very smooth I was hoping I could paint blue grit on the osb for a nice rough key for the adhesive for dob and dab?

personally i’d use bostik green grit as it’s suitable indoor and outdoor. or you could again use blobs of s2 tile adhesive to bond the board to the wall and put a few screws in.
why osb?
and whats the grey stuff you painted on and why? I know you call it bonding slurry, is this tanking?

I was asking a builder I know advice and I felt like I was just harassing him so stopped lol
He instructed me to use osb board as extra structural stability. Maybe he was concerned if my stud work wouldn't be up to scratch lol.
He also said when he boards a room with plasterboard they chuck a mix of cement and sbr all over the walls for a nice surface for the adhesive. To be honest the pointing was terrible so it did the wall a favour. Not sure if this is correct? I will look out for green grit thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back