Plasterboard + tiling a bathroom

I

Igorian

Hi guys

I know there have been a lot of posts about this but i'm just after some reassurance.

Having removed the tiles in my bathroom, most of the plaster has come away too. I would like to use the dot and dab method to apply new full length boards to the wall, refit the bath and then retile. There is an electric shower above the bath. The bathroom will be completely tiled except for the area under the bath.

Not having any experience at boarding in a bathroom, can you advise on the best materials to use and what precautions I should take in the bath/shower area?

The sort of things i'd like to know is:

What type of board/thickness should I use?
Is tanking really necessary?
Should I seal the brickwork?
Is there a preferred tile adhesive/grout to use?
Any other question I may have forgotten here? :) Seriously, any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
Hi Ian,

My advice is to use aquapanel or marmox or something similar (tilebacker board) it's cement based and therefore won't be damaged by water, you will need a manufacturer approved adhesive but nothing special, it is more expensive mind but to make sure you don't have to do the job twice probably worth considering.

no need to seal the brickwork by the way, water won't get past tiles for a start, let alone the board.

Hi, thanks for the info.

I opted for aquapanel, mainly because it was easier to obtain. All installed and sealed and looks great. Just the tiling to go now ..Groan! :)

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back