Bathroom LED spotlights behaving erratically - driver problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I have a problem with the LED spotlights in my bathroom, looking for some confirmation on likely cause before I go crawling into the tight loft space above (in case I don't have to!).

There are 4x LED spotlights in the bathroom, all 12v connected to a single driver. All 4 are flickering on/off in unison, and continue for flicker for around 10 seconds after the light switch is turned off. I've eliminated the switch as the cause, as there's a shower light and extractor working fine off the same switch (I switched the circuits around in the switch wiring just to check, and the same issue persists). I've also tried removing/replacing the individual bulbs and have tested them in other rooms, they're working fine.

I'm thinking the LED driver is the likely cause and happy to replace it myself - but is there any other likely/possible cause to check for first?

Thanks for any advice,
R

Sponsored Links
I'd remove the driver and just use GU10 lamps. Drivers always seem to fail eventually.
Will need Gu10 lampholders to replace what you have

Thanks - I hadn't considered that, definitely should have gone with those originally in hindsight.

Is there anything other than the driver that could be causing the problems? If not then I'll probably just replace the driver for now, as it will be cheaper and easier than replacing all the fittings and bulbs for GU10s - but will definitely stick to GU10s for future fittings.

What’s the spec of the lamps?
Are they wired in parallel or series?
Is the driver constant current or constant voltage?
I guess this set up worked perfectly for some time?

Sponsored Links
Yes they had been working fine for 7-8 years until recently. 4x 12v 5W MR16 bulbs wired in parallel (from memory!), 30W LED driver constant voltage.

No dimmer. I'll swap out the driver and hopefully job done. Will come back and update the thread afterwards, if only because it annoys me when people don't report back whether a suggestion worked or not!

Thanks TTC and Matlob.

Is there anything other than the driver that could be causing the problems? If not then I'll probably just replace the driver for now, as it will be cheaper and easier than replacing all the fittings and bulbs for GU10s - but will definitely stick to GU10s for future fittings.

No, it is the driver. Might the LED's have originally been halogen lamps upgraded to LED?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back