Bathroom light & extractor fan help

I can’t find a isolation switch anywhere. The fan has been disconnected Due to tiles. Those three wires are now in a block. The light worked fine before I took the Rose off and tried to wire this new led one!. If I wire in just the yellow and blue from one cable into the new light it doesn’t trip. But as soon as I add any of the yellow or blue from the extractor cable it trips?

Sponsored Links
321FEC08-673A-4E5D-B65F-10EE298DDEAD.jpeg
That’s the extractor fan switch

Show pics of the terminated cables conductors at fan position.
Was that terminated as you described whilst old light fitting was on and working ? Or have you terminated it as a part of fitting new light today ?

It’s been terminated for a while now into a block of three with a cable in each hole the same way as the extractor fan. The light was working fine. Then I decided to change to this large led one. Why oh why didn’t I take a pic of the ceiling Rose before taking all the cables out

Sponsored Links
You have two pull cord switches, the one that you use to turn on the ceiling light ,did it also operate the fan ?
What tripped ,MCB ,RCD ,RCBO ?
When the device tripped FIRST time ,what was the wiring configuration at the new light fitting ( what coloured conductors connected to what) ?

Yes two pull cords in bathroom, one for each. I turned the black lever off on lights on the fuse box. Wired in (which I thought was same way) new light went into garage to flip black lever back to on and it wouldn’t stay on

That’s the old ceiling Rose. I’m sure it was two blue on left with a blue jointing to light. Two red in the centre. Then two yellow on the right with a brown joining to light. I have wired this new light in the same way. And have tried putting the old ceiling Rose back but it just won’t work. All I can think is I have not remembered correctly which cable was where
11A77771-C298-44D3-BA4B-827C09FEFD75.jpeg

So the fan didnt run when the light switch was operated ,only the light came on historically ?
You are going to need a multimeter to do some testing to sort this out.

Yes pretty sure the fan used to turn on when Turing light on, but could turn the fan off with its own separate pull cord. What am I checking with a multi metre? I will go buy one now from screwfix if I know how to use it?

You may have hit a cable with a screw thats holding the fitting to the ceiling !!

You may have hit a cable with a screw thats holding the fitting to the ceiling !!

well after 3 hours on the phone and a lesson in electrics and using a multimeter....... all I can say is a massive lesson learned!!! And thank you so much for your patience and help! Looks like I’m in the garage tonight too Hahahaha

thanks terry was a right laugh!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back