Outdoor lights wired to 3 core and earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing two identical outdoor lights. Each light has two cables, blue and brown leading to a connector block. The fixed wiring is 3 core plus earth (old colours). On one light the blue is connected to blue and the red and yellow are both connected to the brown. On the other light blue is connected to blue, yellow is connected to brown and the red isn't connected to anything. Confused!

Sponsored Links
Yes confused !!
Are both lights wired to come on together from one switch ?
Showing pics of wiring at both light fittings would be helpful.

The blues are the neutrals, the others are the switch lines. Seems it was originally wired for individual switching and has been altered so both lights are switched together

Thanks. The two lights are not on the same switch. One at the back and one at the front of the house. Both with PIR if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. The two lights are not on the same switch. One at the back and one at the front of the house. Both with PIR if that makes any difference.

I think you've made a mistake in your description of the connections.

Do you have a switch for each light , or no switches at all.
Show pics of wiring at both fittings,sounds odd to me

Description is right. Cant get pics at the moment but will try later.
Each light has a switch. The yellow/red connected to brown is a 3 gang switch -one to outside light, one to inside light and one to extractor. The yellow to brown and red not connected at all is a two gang, one exterior and one interior light

Description is right. Cant get pics at the moment but will try later.
Each light has a switch. The yellow/red connected to brown is a 3 gang switch -one to outside light, one to inside light and one to extractor. The yellow to brown and red not connected at all is a two gang, one exterior and one interior light

That is different to your original description.

If you are fitting two new lights each with its own PIR , what exactly is your concern if you wire up as the existing Mike ??

Fair point. I was just confused and didn't understand why it is as it is. Still am. I suppose if it works then it must be ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back