Bathroom light nightmare!

Hello Philipa,
Just a thought, but was it a 're-wireable' fuse that you 'fixed', if so sometimes overtightening etc can cause the fusewire to break in a place on the carrier where you cannot see. ( i know what I mean :confused: ).
If you have another circuit on a similar fuse have you tried swapping them to ensure the fuse is ok ??

Ed.

EDIT >All was working fine before we take it !!

Sponsored Links
swapped all the 5am fuses about, with no change to scenario.
All was working fine until I took the old lighting off to carry out this 5 min job!

Sorry but without a meter to help you indentify what's what this could be impossible for me to help further really.
Unless you fancy jumping up in the loft and physically tracing the cables, unless the loft has been 'boarded out' that is !!!!

Ed
Nr Basingstoke ?? :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for your offer.

I have a bloke I know who is aircraft electrician coming round this afternoon, (Ive told him to bring his multimeter!) so he should be able to sort it out for me.

Bloody electrics do my head in!

Thanks for all your help, it really is appreciated.

Im just about to put a psot on the gardening apge if you want another laugh!

Sponsored Links
I have a bloke I know who is aircraft electrician coming round this afternoon, (Ive told him to bring his multimeter!) so he should be able to sort it out for me.
Then make sure everything is working before he takes off. ;)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maybe he only knows how to fix 'landing' lights though ???? :eek:

elec1.JPG

OMG. Please tell me that's how you found it, not how you left it. :eek:

Leaving aside all of the exposed terminals and conductors half-hanging out, (and the screw missing from the earth 'terminal'), I would surmise that the cause of the overheated sheath and sleeving is the close proximity to the lamp (aka bulb).

I am just trying to see wether or not it is wired correctly.

I will tidy it all up at the end!

I think the burning was due to close proximity to bulb as you say.

I am just trying to see wether or not it is wired correctly.
But the way you've done it is unsafe.

I will tidy it all up at the end!
That will mean unmaking and remaking almost every termination. Your time would be better spent in driving to BNFNQ and buying a multimeter with AC voltage and continuity functions.

shaver socket perhaps
Is that how you think this forum works? You keep making wrong guesses until you go through enough wrong possibilities and stumble onto the right answer without knowing why?
i am just finding out how the forum works there is a little gang of bullies more eagar to be down right rude than helpful insecure or what
shaversocket perhaps? was a question i forgot the?

Matey came over with his multimeter.

Said fuse had blown, even though it looked Ok.

He did real leccy job.... put in new terminal blocks and moved positioning of the wires so they dont come foull of th bulb again.

Happy bunny now!

Thanks for your advice guys.

i am just finding out how the forum works there is a little gang of bullies more eagar to be down right rude than helpful
jockspark, I genuinely didn't mean to sound bullying.

insecure or what
No. Sometimes my manner isn't perfect, so I apologise.

However, my underlying point, which could have been put better, was that it really is best not to guess, but to gather enough information to give an informed answer, of which I'm sure you're capable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back