Bathroom light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just done a straight replacement of a bathroom light fitting. Basically disconnected the two wires (there was no earth wire) from the old fitting and connected up to the new. The light worked ok but I had to take it down again because the securing screws were coming a bit loose. bolted it back up and this time it didn't work. The cover was an absolute pain to get off and on, so before I get it apart again, can someone answer this probably stupid question - if I have got the live and neutral wires the wrong way round this time would that be why it won't light? The fuse has not blown.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I didn't think it mattered what way those wires went, but why is marked live and neutral on the fitting if it doesn't matter? The connections were sound I'm certain.

that was not what you asked.

you asked will it not work if the wrong way round, to which the answer is no.

If you think about it you can take a lamp out turn it throuh 180 degrees and put it back, in effect you are connecting it the "wrong way"

fittings that have an eddison screw fitting are one exception, the centre pin must be live, these fittings are often marked L N

Sponsored Links
it could be but doubtfull, since it has no earth.

(yes i know it could be DI, but i some how dont think so)

butthen again, it may have a cold

flu, cold, ok i'll get my coat

Thanks again.

The fitting is one of those 3 moveable spots dangling from a crome plate/box (suitable for zone 2/3) but the spots can obviously be offered into the slots either way so there must, as you say, be something else wrong? Better get someone in. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back