Bathroom lighting

D

dan12345

I'm putting some IP65 rated 12v downlighters into my bathroom ceiling. They're 50 watt bulbs around £6 each and I need 6. They come without a transformer so my question is, which transformer will I need? I have the choice of 60w or 105w - my guess is the 60w being as the lights themselves are only 50w but wanted to check with you experts(?) before I ordered...!

Thank you!! :)

Sponsored Links
Are you aware of Part P of the Building Regulations regarding installing new circuits in "special locations" (which Bathrooms are considered as)??

Are you aware of Part P of the Building Regulations regarding installing new circuits in "special locations" (which Bathrooms are considered as)??

As it's an existing bathroom and I'm coming off the existing circuit, I'm not sure that this applies? Correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

Copied from Part P (under the "work that need not be notified" section).

Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation and consists of:

Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit

Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit

Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding.

Wading through the double negatives (!) I interpret that to say that unless your replacing lamps in existing fittings (which from your post I don't think you are) then it needs to be notified or done by a self-certifying chappie.

Sponsored Links
Bon is correct, also the circuit needs to comply with BS7671, so will need to be RCD protected too. You much inform Building Control BEFORE you start the work too, or employ a member of a self certification scheme.

Bon is correct, also the circuit needs to comply with BS7671, so will need to be RCD protected too. You much inform Building Control BEFORE you start the work too, or employ a member of a self certification scheme.

BCO already on the case due to an extension to rear of property so will get him to inspect on next visit....he mentioned that he didn't need to inspect the extension electrics but of course this is not a kitchen or bathroom..thanks for pointing it out boys.

Any ideas on the original question?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back