Bathroom lights and fan dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, sitting in the loft trying to work out wtf the previous occupant did.

Last night it all stopped working. Rcbo for lights did not trip.

Bathroom has pull cord switch, which runs extractor fan with overrun and 4x led downlights.

Power in to wago box.
Wago box provides power to fan.
Wago box provides power to led downlights daisy chained 1 through 4.

I have checked the pull cord works by wiring the cables together. No joy. No lights. No fan.

When I check using the death trap led screwdriver, I get current on both L and N on the led terminals.

Im guessing an led driver is borked.

Thoughts to diagnose?

Disconnect all downlights and see if switch operates fan? Then add back 1 at a time?

Sponsored Links
I have checked the pull cord works by wiring the cables together. No joy. No lights. No fan.

That means missing live or neutral, you need to back track to find the fault, and get a proper tester or multimeter, a few quid from screwfix, should makes things easier and might save your life.

Ditch the neon screwdriver. Buy a multimeter ,from around ten quid, and establish the voltages present between live and neutral ,and between live and earth at the junction box.
Have you worked on, or changed any other light fittings on the circuit ?

Thank you both for taking the time to help.
Death trap screwdriver is in the bin. I know they are bad but had it it hand.

Its working now but concerned there's a lurking firehazard.

With power off, I undid all 4 led light junction boxes to inspect for loose connections. All sound.

Climbed out of loft, flicked rcbo on, and everything is now working.

So all I have done is moved the cables and checked nothing is loose.

Not sure what/how/why is broke and the jiggling fixed it. Installed in 2018 by previous occupant.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Loose connection somewhere. Is your wiring looped at the ceiling roses/ light fittings ,or at the switch positions ?

bathroom = condensation = damp = rcbo trips = damp dries out = rcbo resets

Loose connection somewhere. Is your wiring looped at the ceiling roses/ light fittings ,or at the switch positions ?

Sorry unsure how to answer.

The upstairs light circuit, wired circa 2000s, is a run of white cable secured using cable thingies to the joists, sitting under insulation in the loft..

When the bathroom fan and downlights were added to the circuit, the white cable is terminated in the wago box, with one "end" coming from the hall light, and the other "end" going to the WC light.

Wago box acts as a junction providing live and switched live from pull cord to fan, and the daisy chained led downlights. This is all using a thicker grey cable and obviously newer. None of this cable has been secured and is just laying on the insulation like a trip hazard.

Sorry ,but that's not much use mate.
Does the white cable originate from another ceiling light position ,bedroom maybe ,and does it contain three conductors ,live,neutral and bare copper earth ?

Yes, white cable contains l,n,e with one end coming from hall light and other end going to the WC light. This looks to be tbe original radial? circuit.

Yes, white cable contains l,n,e with one end coming from hall light and other end going to the WC light. This looks to be tbe original radial? circuit.
You need to check the neutral connections ,starting at the hall light, and subsequent neutrals terminal connections at junction box etc.

Ok, so seems clear. A neutral somewhere is loose. The wago connections dont look like they can come loose.
Both the hall and wc lights worked while the bathroom lights/fan didnt, suggesting (maybe I am wrong) the loose neutral must be wago box onwards.
All connections from then on are push crimp type affairs feeding the downlights - not screws but poke cable in hole and push the jaws down.
Guessing one was loose but unsure how, as the jaws are kept closed when the box is closed around them. I did open them all, checked nothing was loose, then closed them.

After that it all worked.

Sounds like you may have inadvertantly corrected the bad connection without realising . If you haven't , the situation will likely re occur. As all is working there isn't much to worry about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back