Bathroom mirror lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm fairly handy at home but never got my head around electrics.

I've got a panel that hangs over a bathroom mirror with 2 halogen bulbs (left switch) and a shaver socket (right switch). The lights are not working. They are two 12v/20w G4 halogen which I've tested elsewhere and definitely still work.

I took a picture of the fitting where you can see the switches and transformers. I'd appreciate some advice on how to isolate the fault and work out how to fix it.

Thanks.

EDIT: picture added

Sponsored Links
Likely to be the transformer, I would test for voltage at 240V side of trany, if it present and you say lamps work. Trany is fav!

Bit inexperienced here, so will need the kid gloves here. (Sorry!)

The transformer is the central white block, right? What/Where is 240V side and how do I go about testing it?

fav? I'm assuming you're telling me the transformer is the best bet for the fault and not just that you really like transformers.

If you don't know how to test the transformer, call in a spark or buy a new lighted mirror. You can't play with electrics.

Andy

Sponsored Links
The transformer will have a set of cables going in from the 240V low voltage supply side(primary), should be indicated on the trany ""230V" then on the extra low voltage selv 12V (secondary)
May look something like this

Looking at your picture, it would suggest the primary(230V) is at black flex (left of trany) and secondary(12V) is at white cores (right of trany)
Use an approved voltage tester, no micky mouse neon shyte!

UPDATE:

So I've managed to confirm the trany is at fault. Swapping out my old 65VA white trany for a 20-60VA black trany (picture 1). I'm told by the retailer that the model I had previously isn't available any more and this alternative should be fine. Since the new trany is a different shape with it's own cables, it's not obvious to me which connections I need to make.

I can see on the new trany which cables are primary (joint live blue and neutral brown) and which are secondary (2 single black) but I don't know which way round the primaries and secondaries should be attached. My light's primary in has a blue and brown (picture 2) but the brown leads to the switch and returns as a blue. So BOTH primary wires into the trany are blue. How do I know where to attach the brown? On the other side, both wire are identically white on the old trany and black on the new one. Does it matter which way around these go?

Any help how I can tell what should go where would be appreciated.

Primary side of trany blue=neutral and brown=line/live (not as you have posted) The incoming blue from the light switch is the switch live (this should be sleeved brown, to indicated this), the second blue should be neutral.
Connect supply line/live(blue sleeved brown) to primary line/live of trany (brown)
Then connect blue neutrals of supply and primary together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back