Bathroom paint flaking - do I need to remove it all?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The upper walls in my bathroom are painted with bathroom paint which we intended to paint over. However, as the walls were a bit rough I decided to sand them down first which has led to the paint flaking off big time. It looks like there was just one coat of paint immediately over the plaster. Do I need to remove ALL the paint before I can repaint and if so, is there an easier way than sanding. Also, do I need to do anything to the plaster before putting on new bathroom paint. I am a total novice at all this and any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do I need to remove ALL the paint

Impossible to say without seeing.. But basicly scrape off all loose paint and either sand edges smooth or, use easifill to hide the broken edges. Then thin down some emulsion and coat up the bare plaster. Then use either dulux quick drying eggshell or any decent matt emulsion and give two coats. The kitchen/ batroom paint is not good.

Don't know who started this rubbish about kitchen/bathroom paint being unsuitable for bathrooms - it's just plain silly.

Don't know who started this rubbish about kitchen/bathroom paint being unsuitable for bathrooms - it's just plain silly.
Its unsuitable anywhere! I found that out decades ago. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You simply don't understand the materials you are using. Bet you haven't used them in decades. It simply has more vinyl to make it tougher and more waterproof.

You simply don't understand the materials you are using. Bet you haven't used them in decades. It simply has more vinyl to make it tougher and more waterproof.
:rolleyes:
A classic post from someone who's got brainwashed by advertising and believes whats on the can.. Qick Drying eggshell is the trade version of K & B paint. Q/d eggshell is just as tough and waterproof and it has very good pigmentation, two coats usually or, if substrate is sound and of similar colour one coat will suffice and sooo easy to keep an open edge. Where the K & B will usually need three coats and large wall area's will need a two man team to avoid sheerness (flashing).
Dont ask me why they still sell it. But it does make me look good when I get asked to sort out a disaster with this paint. So suppose I should'nt moan :LOL:

Try Qick Drying eggshell then try K & B paint, You will soon see why K & B is not stocked in decorator centre's

If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have a problem with it. Trading Standards would ensure it was taken off the shelves if it wasn't 'fit for purpose'. It's you that's been brainwashed.

If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have a problem with it. Trading Standards would ensure it was taken off the shelves if it wasn't 'fit for purpose'. It's you that's been brainwashed.
Trading standards :LOL: Dulux Have got that sorted by the money back guarantee.

Your post tells me you have never used this product. Oh well maybe you have in your virtual world. But please reccomend it on your behalf not the decorators in here.
as this is supposed to be an advice forum this is mylast post on issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back