bathroom paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I want to redecorate my bathroom. Since it was extended many years ago, there are two external walls which together with the ceiling always get moldy and after a shower i get drips of condense. I am thinking of scraping off the coats of bathroom paint which i applied 4 years ago and go for an emulsion paint. I have been told that despite emulsion paint is not ideal in bathrooms, that makes the walls more breathable even though i will have to paint it more often as that emulsion paint in a bathroom comes off after a couple of years. What is your view on that?..............btw there is already a fan in the bathroom but it does not seem to help much. Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
The best way to prevent condensation is heat and ventilation. Open the window slightly when the shower is used and keep the radiator free from damp towels and switched on when showering. Paint the ceiling and walls with an emulsion that contains a mould inhibitor, these are widely available from all the paint manufacturers. Make sure you remove any mould spots with neat bleach before decorating.

Yes there is a 10 mm gap. Thank you all for answering my query.

Sponsored Links
Providing the existing paintwork is sound and in good condition there is no need to remove it, just lightly sand to remove any shine.

I would then apply an anti fungicidal wash to any mould, when this is dry then apply an oil based undercoat to the affected areas only. As far as your choosen paint is concerned, take a look at Dulux Trade Mouldshield Eggshell, this is also available in Matt. This is a suberb paint system that should serve you well.

Dec.

Is the fan on a timer? it should be set to the maximum time which is approx. 20 mins after the light has been turned off.

Mine is set like that and we don't have any mould problems.

Andy

Thank you very much for your inputs guys................btw the fan does not run for 20 min, so i will check for that..........thanks again

I've got one place I rent and I've given it a 25mm gap on the bottom of the door and I run the extractor on max time out - the tenants hate it, but I've never had damp in their !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back