BATHROOM PROJECT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I have bought my bathroom suite and tiles, basically im wriitng it all down to plan it but having trouble what order things should be done, if i outline what im doing i would appreciate someone to help me create a job list in order.

I am replacing the existing suite with a new one, everything in the same positions, i am tiling the walls and placing tiles on the floor also.

I have to remove the skirtings and make good the walls for tiling. Do I have to reenforce the timber floor with plywood for the the floor tiles, i read this in a diy book.

Also I do tile around the pedistal and toilet? or completley tile the floor and then secure them ontop of the floor tiles?

Would appreciate a list of order of jobs and some tips of things to watch out for - the electric shower is also being replaced but the cold water pipe is visible I want this tucked away out of site, a job for a plumber? and if so how much should I expect to pay for insatlling an electric shower?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Just doing the same myself.

Where the current water connections are, do you have isolation valves close to the floor?

If not first of all turn off water and fit some of these.

Then be sure that not pipework alterations are needed to suit new suite.

I had to move pipework as I was moving the basin & WC around.

If tiling direct onto t&G floor you can either screw 15mm marine ply down then use a normal flexible adhesive (I always use BAL) or you can use BAL fastflex staright onto tongue & groove, but be warned it is not cheap, neither is the special water/additive that you have to mix it with, so I'd shop around if that's the way you go. The white fastflex is also more expensive than the grey.

Apparently it is very good though and is like rubber once set. You will then need a flexible grout or add some BAL admix to normal grout.

So, order of work.

Fit isolation valves, ensure any pipework is in correct place.

Remove old stuff.

Fit bath, connect up water and route waste.

Tile the floor & walls.

Fit basin & WC, pipe up.

Box in any pipework as necessary.

Cutting tiles in around stuff is time consuming and looks bad imo.

HTH :)

Thanks Hallsy thats exactly what I needed to know, when i say the wood floor its just the normal floor boards but still think i need to reenforce it with plywood.

There are isolation valves on all the pipes in the bathroom, how long do yuo think it would take to do as Im concerned we will be without a WC for a few days due to the need of the tiling the floor etc

One question, this pipe that needs hiding into the wall for the eletric wall would you get that sorted first by a plumber?

Sponsored Links
What kind of wall is it that you want to bury it into?

You could chase the wall out yourself, and bury a pipe into it, but leave both ends disconnectedfor a plumber if you didn't feel brave enough yourself?

This would help you move on with the tiling etc while you sort out a decent plumber?

Sam

Well, if you feel up to the job of dealing with shower yourself and can do without it until bathroom is done, then I'd disconnect it and as said above chase the wall and bury your pipework to suit, then leave suitably isolated ready for new shower.

As long as you have planned the route of all wastes, new connections from isolation valves then it shouldn't take too long to reconnect.

It will take a matter of hours to remove the old stuff ;)

The tiling will be what holds you up. Unless using rapid set then you'll need a day for the floor to be walkable, then tile the walls, then grout so maybe 2-3 days for all that.

Once you're tiling is done you should be able to re-connect bath, basin & WC in a day, just make sure you have fitted taps, wastes, etc in advance to save time.

Oh and my wood flooring is just T&G boards.

I have screwed them down at joists and am using BAL fastflex.

I'd weigh up the costs and time and go with either really.

I think the pipe will need proper plumbing work as its alray coming out of the wall into the shower but i want it hidden away which will require cutting the pipes etc.

Pulling the old stuff out wont be a problem, all have isolations vales and will be going back inthe same place - however im asuming that the bath would have to go in first before the tiling? as Id have to have a level of the bath full of water to know where to tile up from?

Does that make sense?

My order was remove tiling from around bath and shower
removing skirting and fill the gap left by the old tiles for the tiles
Plumber to install new shower unit
re-enforce floor with plywood (not sure how thick yet)
remove bath, toilet and basin
Tile floor
Install bath, connect feeds and fill with water
Tile walls
install toilet and basin

Does that sound right?

Don't forget to check/correct the height of the soil pipe relative to the new WC and the new finished floor level before tiling the walls.

You may be OK, or you may just need an offset pan connector, but remember water doesn't run up hill...

Yes thats was my only thought but not sure what to do - becasue of the tiles on the floor the wc will riaise in height that might need readjusting etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back