Bathroom Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some advice for changing bathroom to shower room.
I've asked a builders to - remove old suite + tiles, fit moisture resistant boards throughout, skim walls and ceiling, tank shower area, fit 2 wet walls at 90 degrees to each other, fit shower cubicle, fit toilet, move basin pipework to facing wall, move radiater pipes, fit basin, fit radiator, fit electric shower + extractor fan + light (wiring already in place), paint (anti-mould) throughout, fit plywood flooring + vinyl over plywood, fit accessories, silicone throughout. No tiling other than 2 rows above basin. Builder to dispose of old suite/tiles etc.
I'm providing the full bathroom, including fixing kits/waste kits, paint, towel warmer, wetwalls.
Builder's supplying plaster, moisture resistant plasterboard, plywood.

Price, for labour only (includes plasterboards/plywood/plaster) is £2300. Bathroom is 2m by 1.5m. Is this overpriced or ok?

Sponsored Links
Does not sound a bad price only the other day there was someone posting on here asking if 3.5k - 4K was a good price for labour on a small bathroom refit.

I've just quoted 3.8k for a small ensuite shower room. Includes tiling but no materials. I start in the morning :D

Sponsored Links
He wants 20% deposit upfront. I didn't think this is what happened with labour only quotes. Would you pay upfront? Is paying this deposit a week before work's due to start a bit risky?

@Catty-E That sounds too cheap to me, think you're in danger of ending up with a bodge job at that. Pay peanuts, get monkeys

20% deposit sounds reasonable, that'll cover some of his materials costs (it's not really labour-only is it - he's supplying plywood, MR plasterboard, plaster......)

Incidentally I'd recommend Hardibacker/No More Ply/Similar in a shower area. MR plasterboard is fine away from a shower but is far from waterproof

Thanks Muggles - should I be asking for cement board instead of MR plasterboard?

I certainly would if it was me - it's totally waterproof and doesn't need plastering, you just prime it and glue your tiles or shower panels straight to it. I used No More Ply on my own shower at home

The major issue with board and skim, besides it not being waterproof, is that it really should be left for a week between skimming and tiling/panelling to ensure the moisture has left it, and a lot of contractors (especially ones on a very tight budget such as yours) won't have allowed sufficient time in the job to do that. Any less and you risk ending up with a poor bond between skim and board as moisture gets trapped inside, potentially resulting in things coming loose

He wants 20% deposit upfront. I didn't think this is what happened with labour only quotes. Would you pay upfront? Is paying this deposit a week before work's due to start a bit risky?
Daja vue , as I've said before no one likes paying deposits but it's normal, tbh if you don't trust him don't use him simples,;)but do you trust anyone ;)

So... is this "builder" doing the "plumbing" too? And the tiling? :rolleyes:

You'd be better off with a bathroom fitter plumber!

Edit: get 2 more quotes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back