Bathroom radiator not heating up, no trv or lockshield?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I moved into a row house recently and just noticed that the bathroom radiator in the upstairs isn't getting warm. Whole radiator is cold, and pipes are also cold. Every other radiator in the house seems to be piping hot though. I've tried searching online on how to fix this, but everything seems to mention tweaking the trv or lockshield, which it doesn't look like this radiator has (pictures attached). I've tried bleeding it and cold water comes out. Any idea if this is something that can be addressed on my own? (/would it be fine to not address, since upstairs is warm enough?)

Attachments

• PXL_20230204_150501395.jpeg
    PXL_20230204_150501395.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20230204_150510100.jpeg
    PXL_20230204_150510100.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
Have you got a hot water cylinder nearby?

Is there a wood or coal burner in the house?

Could be how it’s been piped up, like John asks, is there a cylinder nearby? Could only heat up with hot water on.

As above - and the pipes look like a gravity circuit from the cylinder. But I can't make out the bottom connection ??? can you post a closer pic @ the bottom .

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I don't think there's a hot water cylinder? I am new to this stuff so I could be wrong though. The house has a gas water heater for hot water, and a gas boiler for the radiator. I haven't thought to check the radiator after using the hot water though so I'll definitely keep an eye out next time. Here's a closer picture of the bottom connection:
closeup.jpeg

Was there previously a wood or coal stove?

As you are in a different country your plumbing will be different. Over here you can often warm up a cold raduator by turning off ALL the hot ones. But you might have a one-pipe system which is different.

I don't think there was a wood or coal stove before, but there's no way for me to find out 100% unfortunately. What's odd is that I do remember this radiator being hot at one point. Does there exist a mechanism that makes it so that the radiator only gets warm when I use hot water in the shower or something?

Yes, sometimes. I have one. But I don't know how your house is plumbed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back