Bathroom radiators help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

This rad in my bathroom is being used as a heat sink when the hot water is being heated for a in-direct system. I would like a towel rail in its replacement is there any methods that i can have a towel rail to remain a heat sink for the hot water circuit and a central heating towel rad as these two systems are independant in my house due to the hot water setup i have....

I know that it is needed for a heat sink for the hot water system which i have been told about but not 100 percent sure if this is true.

I was thinking of non return valves with central heating and hot water pipe work going to the towel rail...

Thanks

Any ideas or knowledge would be very helpful

Thanks all

Radinbathroom_zpseb280f3f.jpg

Sponsored Links
Tell us more about your system. What do YOU mean by heat sink?

Ok i believe my oil boiler located in the garage sends hot water to the loft where a valve changes its direction of flow to the central heating radiators or the hot water coil for the indirect water tank and one rad in my bathroom via a programmer in the living room therefore haveing 2 circuits one for central heating and one for hot water which are split at a valve somewhere with one common feed and return to the boiler. The bathroom gravity feed rad is defo plumbed into the hot water circuit and not the central heating. Due to this i thought that it means the protection against water getting to hot and damageing the pipes on the hot water circuit is to have a rad acting as a heat sink meaning to dispurce the heat from the rad to prevent overheating the pipes. Because i have been told i still need to retain this "Heat Sink rad" for the hot water circuit. I wanted to hook up the central heating and Hot water pipes to one towel rail with both systems using it at different time.. maybe with no return valves to stop them interlinking. Any ideas lol

Sponsored Links
It's common practice to run a bathroom rad on the hot water circuit so that in summer you can dry towels etc on the rad in summer when the heating is not required. Also where Trv's are fitted on a system then if no auto bypass is fitted then a radiator fitted without a Trv would act as bypass to allow heat to dissipate from the system thus protecting the boiler.

Does the bathroom rad come on when the other radiators heat up? If it does just swap it for a towel rad. Bear in mind though that towel rads are what they say on the tin and give off very little heat output.When choosing one look at the heat output first.Also fit 2 locksheild valves instead of a TRV.

The rad is only on when the hot water is being heated and is used as a heat sink when things get to hot to protect the boiler... But is there a way of hooking a towel rail up to the central heating and hook up the hot water circuit which will be the heat sink. Therefore putting both central heating a hot water circuit through the one towel rad?????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back