Bathroom re-fit ventilation/false wall advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, not sure if this is the correct area to post this in but didn't seem to fit in any of the others.

I'm about to start re-fitting my bathroom. The suite has been ordered, tiles bought etc. However there are two areas I'm currently trying to figure out.

Firstly is the ventilation. The bathroom doesn't have any windows as it has no outside wall (I have a flat) but it does have an extractor fan. It's wall mounted on a false wall in the corner but it's not that great.

I was considering having two extractors. A 'shower' extractor over the bath which would be on when the shower is turned on and then a main ceiling mounted extractor fan which works to the room humidity. Is it possible to connect the two fans to the same ducting using a T piece?

The other thing I am trying to figure out is the false wall. It boxes in the waste pipework/ventilation pipe for my flat and the flat downstairs. It has two walls, one at the end of the bath, the other side creates the box. I'm trying to figure out if the panels contain asbestos as they were put in originally when the flat was built in 1980. When I do remove them (as they will have big holes in them) I need to replace them with something I can safely tile onto.

Any suggestions as to what I should use?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice you can give.

Adam

Sponsored Links
teeing into the pipe is a no no . when only one fan is running it will blow air back up the wrong way and into the room. probably.

you can re-board with plasterboard or better still aquaboard if the area is going to be subject to frequent water saturation.

Do you have a roof void above the ceiling?

I'm wondering if you can get away with using an internal fan on the other side of the T pipe and do away with the fan? Here

I'm not too sure about just one fan after a T section as the fan would need more power and most of the power from the fan would go to the vent that would be straight on.

I'm thinking of putting one fan in the ceiling now, just by the bath, so should work quite well. Can any one tell me if this fan would be suitable?

http://www.vent-axia.com/awwebstore/products/homeshop/domfans/Silhouette100H.asp

When searching on the vent-axia website it came up as being able to be installed into the ceiling. It is IPX4 rated which is the type of fan needed for near the baths/showers.

Space above the ceiling is fine, I've got a loft.

Adam

Sponsored Links
bigglesuk said:
Space above the ceiling is fine, I've got a loft.
Either vent out to soffit vent or roof tile vent :idea:

As for the power of the fan, best to ring the manufacter which fan is suitable for the length of ducting.

There is some form of vent that goes out the roof already, just need to find out the diameter of the piping so I can connect into it properly.

I will call one of the manufacturers about the most suitable fan.

Cheers,

Adam

Would not one fan, the one over the shower be adequate to remove all humidity from the room. If it can cope with the steam from the shower then it will cope with every day non shower humity.

Use a soffit vent with smooth ducting sloping down the soffit. This will ensure the majority of condensation in the ducting does not run back into the fan when the fan turns off and the air flow stops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back