bathroom refit fitters joined shower cable in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am new to this so please be kind, i have just had a bathroom refit the fitters moved the shower about two foot to the left, instead of using a new piece of shower cable they used a small length of new cable joined onto the old cable,connected i dont know and tiled over it i dont know if they used any protection on the cable or wether all this is ok so can someone help and tell me if this is ok practice

Sponsored Links
Did the original cable run horizontally to the shower, i.e. has it been extended in the same direction it was already running?

IF it was, and IF they used crimps to join and IF they added sleeving to the joints before covering it all up then it's OK.

But if there's now a dog-leg, or if they used choc-block then it's very much not OK, and could well be illegal.

Did they leave you with any certificate for the work?

Are they registered here?

Why did you choose them to do the work?

hi ban-all-sheds,i live in rented house and the owner employed them,the shower cable is horizontal i didnt see them install it i only became worried when other things didnt go to well,
so i informed the owner i wanted a certificate saying the people who did it where capable and the work safe, the next thing my landlord rings up and says they will send an electrician to check the work,
this is when we found out what they did the electrician took the housing of the shower and the switch of the wall and said the cables arent the same so they have joined them,
so it looks like they would not or could not supply a safe certificate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back