Bathroom refurb

Well, at 11pm last night, I decided to tackle the enclosure door myself. I seem to have sorted the leaking but I'm still not very happy about the chunk out of my ceiling.

Thing is, I don't want to get anyone into trouble about it - our bathroom is absolutely tiny and two men trying to work in it is bound to be a problem (it's only 2m x 1.4m) but I'm so hacked off by the attitude of the actual company that organised the work that I'm gonna cause as much grief as possible.

Oh, and did you know that you're not supposed to let the water from the shower hit the sides or the corners of the enclosure!!!! Doing that causes leaks! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Alison,dont worry about getting anyone in trouble you have paid a large amount of money,for something that isnt right,kick up a stink,dont try resolve it yourself,you will invalidate any gaurentee(sp) you had.

I don't know what your job is Alison, but if you kept making a mess of it then it's not likely that you'd get away with it. Ultimately, since the company has taken your money to supply and install a bathroom to a good standard commensurate with the price they're charging, then it's up to them to either do so or refund you that money since they are in breach of contract.

If they have damaged the ceiling, then it's up to them to repair it to a good standard - if theis means replacing it then that's their problem.

Thanks guys.

Dextrous, I was in the ambulance service - so if I'd made mistakes in my job, then it could have resulted in somebody's life!!!!!

I was trying to avoid having to see a solicitor about this but I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to. The installation manager keeps overtalking me every time I try to point something out and as a result, there are bits of work not getting done - like one of the filler panels was meant to be replaced because it's chipped and it hasn't been done because he wasn't bloody listening to me.

It's so frustrating that they just won't fix the problems and then go away and leave me in peace - and I look like a right nit-picker cos I'm constantly trying to remind them that they've not done something. I feel like I'm being picky with little things but a chip out of a pure white Parador ceiling is pretty obvious and I'm not happy - and I'm still trying to scrub off red brick dust from the grout where they installed the extractor and radiator after the tiling was done.

Ever felt like screaming?

Sponsored Links
Update........................

Joiner was out today to fill the gap that had appeared between the coving and the tiles and to look at the little gouge in the ceiling panel.

After telling me that to replace the ceiling panel would mean him having to take off the coving, remove the wet wall, remove the tiles, replace the tiles and wetwall and coving and generally humming and hahing over it - he dotted it with satinwood paint................................. :rolleyes: That was after asking me for Tippex........................ :rolleyes:

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna get anywhere and that they obviously don't take any pride in their work or have an eye for detail - that was blatently obvious when the taped edge of the filler panel was put under the worktop and the cut edge left at the bottom where it can be seen!

If replacing the ceiling requires what he says, so be it - they damaged it, so they replace it.

Ask to speak to the managing director, and that noone else will now suffice.

Now that it's got some Dulux Satinwood slapped on it, I don't know that it would show up in a picture. Apparently it's just a "pin hole" :rolleyes:

I will endeavour to get up the ladder and take a picture.

Now that it's got some Dulux Satinwood slapped on it, I don't know that it would show up in a picture. Apparently it's just a "pin hole" :rolleyes:

I will endeavour to get up the ladder and take a picture.
In which case, whoever told you this would be happy to have it in his own house - perhaps in their bath, or better still in their eyeball?

Bottom line, it wasn't manufactured nor supplied with the pinhole there, you didn't pay for them to put it there, and you want it removed as in, replaced.

Would you believe that the shower enclosure is still leaking? Just noticed it the day before yesterday. Went back to the showroom today to tell them and got met with the usual "what do you mean it's leaking?" "how can it possibly be leaking from there?"

Project manager is coming on Monday morning to have a look.

Watch this space!!!!

Of course, but repairing it yourself you may have given them a let off. Hopefully not though.

Seriously, I can't help but feel that you should tell them to take the whole lot out, give you a refund and then they should eff off and let you get someone reputable in.

After this length of time, that's what I'm beginning to think too. I can see me having to get a solicitor involved - which is what I was going to do originally. I'm not sure who you would get to do a complete, independant survey of all the work - the solicitor suggested an architect when I spoke to him before - because the work covers plumbing, joinery, tiling and electrics. Even the way the electrician has done his connections next to the consumer unit isn't tidy. Where the joiner has caulked between the coving and Parador is all cracking and discoloured (already), he's left the cut ends of the filler panels on show (at the bottom where I'd have put them at the top under the worktop). Maybe I'm being too fussy but for what they charged, the lack of attention to detail is awful.

And even I know what's wrong with the enclosure - they've not sealed it properly as per the instructions. And if you were putting a shower enclosure and shower up on wet wall panelling, would you still use rawl plugs? Cos they haven't - not a rawl plug to be had anywhere because apparently when you screw into wet wall you don't need them!

I can honestly say that there is not one bit of that bathroom that I could say I was delighted with.

Oh, and all I did was straighten the door up - it wasn't level and the water was escaping the gap, so I just levelled it up a bit - though they don't know that - I've had nothing to do with any of the rest of it.

Well, the project manager came up, looked at where it's leaking (the water appears to be getting down the back of the tray and coming out of a gap between the tray and the tiles) and said that he'd get somebody out to silicone it!

Which is exactly what I thought he'd say.

Now definitely needing somebody to inspect all the work, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Well, if taking legal advice, I'd recommend that you do what (s)he recommends. Chances are they'll know people who will do what needs doing inspection and reporting wise.

Regardins using rawlplugs- it sort of depends on what the wetroom wall is made of. If it a plastic layer glued onto a ply background, then I can see why rawlplugs wouldn't be necessary; but it would beg the question of what these panels are fixed in place themselves with. :confused:

I can see no other way in which it would be acceptable not to use a plug of some description or other.

Maybe worth contacting building control (or whatever the equivalent is in Scotland) and asking their advice - they would be independent and qualified to pass some sort of judgement on the standard of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back