Bathroom remodel - back to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a first step I am going to insulate the standard 215mm solid brick wall construction bathroom with 2 external walls.
I propose to insulate with 40mm PIR bonded with PU low expansion bonding.
In the same way bond 12.5mm (cement based) aquapanel.
Strategic timber will be placed to take the load of heavy stuff like cisterns. Or do I just go straight through to the brick and bang a wodge of silicone in the hole?
I plan to have concealed plumbing on the external walls for stuff like taps .and this will come close in places if not exceed the 40mm. So I will need to chase out the wall to accommodate both plumbing and decent depth of insulation to protect from frost. I don't expect the fixing cold bridge could be a frost risk?
I don't think I will need a VCL in a bathroom as the finished tiling will be impervious? Is this actually the case? Detailing to retain VCL around stuff like the extractor will need some thought, though I guess the ducting will achieve that.
Insulation will extend into the floor void, so some kind of VCL at that level will be incorporated as belt and braces as I expect the floor tiling to be a bit of a weak point wrt vapour tightness. This isn't a wet room, though the shower area will be close to that spec.
As far as introducing a vapour escape risk at fixing points such as the fire proof back up (2 per board) and the cistern etc fixings, I would seal over the aquapanel at these points as with the board jointing.

Any comments? Other aspects I need to consider in this demolition and planning phase?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back