Bathroom Renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been renovating my new house recently (1930's semi) and last on the list is the bathroom.

Need some advice on what to do with the walls in the bath/shower section. When I previously removed some of the old tiles to have the pipework for the digital mixer shower fitted, the tiles pulled off some of the underlying plaster and has gone back to the blockwork. The plaster is pretty thick but has started to breakdown by the looks.

I'm think it's best to take the whole wall back to blockwork and then I was planning to board over it with the hardibacker cement boards. I asked them about attaching direct to blockwork and they've suggested using a high strength gap filling adhesive and then masonry anchors. Once that's on, I'd fill over the joints and tape them.

This would admittedly hide the pipework for the shower but would allow me to tile straight onto it afterwards.

Just wondering what is best to do really in this situation and whether its best to do as I've suggested so far. Or is there a better approach? Would it be good to get a plasterer in to repair the wall or would the boards be ok?

Cheers,
Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back