FITTING A BATHROOM - LOTS OF HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Right, i have ripped out the old bathroom ready for the new suite. We are having a mixer shower, plus stone tray and enclosure, towel rail, toilet and sink.

The hous eneeds a central heating system so we are going to have the carcass pipework wor the shower installed and the carcass pipework for the towel rail installed while this is being done,

The old bathroom consisted of a corner bath which has been ripped out.

1. Basically now we want to put the shower enclosure in the corner of the bathroom where this used to be, but there is a brick/platered wall one side and a plaster board wall the other. Is it ok to tile straight onto these walls or do i need to seal them first??

2. What is the best sequence of fitting a bathroom?? The floor needs doing as its just bare floorboards at the moment. Also needs tiling and the toilet and basin fitting. IS it best to tile before i fit the toilet and basin?? Also, i think i should fit the shower tray first, then tile down to it, and then fit the enclosure.

3. What is the best way of putting an extractor fan in a double glazed window?? Is it better to just vent it outside through the wall??

many many thanks

george

Sponsored Links
Hi

Right, i have ripped out the old bathroom ready for the new suite. We are having a mixer shower, plus stone tray and enclosure, towel rail, toilet and sink.

The hous eneeds a central heating system so we are going to have the carcass pipework wor the shower installed and the carcass pipework for the towel rail installed while this is being done,

We call this carcass pipework a first fit

1. Basically now we want to put the shower enclosure in the corner of the bathroom where this used to be, but there is a brick/platered wall one side and a plaster board wall the other. Is it ok to tile straight onto these walls or do i need to seal them first??

Providing the plaster is sound and not "hollow" on the brick wall, then fine. It's always worth sealing the wet area - ie the shower (use a bal shower kit or equivalent)

2. What is the best sequence of fitting a bathroom?? The floor needs doing as its just bare floorboards at the moment. Also needs tiling and the toilet and basin fitting. IS it best to tile before i fit the toilet and basin?? Also, i think i should fit the shower tray first, then tile down to it, and then fit the enclosure.

1/. Shower (on bed of mortar, perfectly flat around edge - squirt sanitary silicon sealant between wall and side of tray as you fit it)

2/. Tile shower

3/. Floor (can cut around shower tray and hide mortar gap at bottom depending on what floor finish you are using- but protect afterwards

4/. Toilet/sink/enclosure in the order that makes it easiest and maximises working area available - toilet and pedestal on top of floor finish looks neater

5/. Splashback for sink

3. What is the best way of putting an extractor fan in a double glazed window?? Is it better to just vent it outside through the wall??

Easiest to go through wall since can conceal wires - you need an electrician for this, and get the wires in while you are doing the first fit plumbing before any decorating.

Just think it through carefully first, many, many times until a logical sequence falls into place, since every job different, but the above should give you a starting skeleton to start with.

cheers swidders!

that sounds logical and like you said, just needs thinking through.

with regards to the plaster board wall, can this be tiled in the same way as the solid brick/plaster wall?? or does it need sealing first??

cheers

george

It's worth sealing anywhere within the shower area, so yes.

Sponsored Links
ok will do.

just to clarify whats a bal shower kit?? does it seal the plasterboard before tiling??

cheers

george

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back