Bathroom replacement - nothing out of action?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if a house has just one bathroom (no WC), but you want a the whole thing changed (new bath, toilet, basin, flooring, tiling etc). would most fitters keep the whole room in working order, e.g. make sure we come home to a toilet and shower / bath each day? Or would we need to plan to have no loo or no shower while the new bathroom is fitted?

Sponsored Links
Depends on if your having new flooring like tiles that will need leaving for a certain amount of time before being walked on. But having a working toilet should be no issue (assuming your not moving the location of that and pipework isn't being affected). But expect any new sink, bath/shower etc.. to be out of action for at least 24 hours once they are fitted to let the silicone dry, and tiling to set etc...

I would not expect all facilities to be in working order and that alternative arrangements should be made. This will also help keep costs/time down so that the workers can just get on with the job without having to make temporary arrangement and disconnect those each day.

As above, it depends what you're having done but in general it's unrealistic to expect everything to be working every night unless you employ Bodgit & Scarper. Expect things to be out of action for anything between a day and a week depending on the room specification

I guess the only thing that really needs to be functioning is the loo. Basin and bath not essential. Don't mind if the room is a mess, so long as the loo can be used and flushes.
But maybe more sensible to build a new WC first, as we'd need that anyway.

Sponsored Links
Can't you wash in a bucket and nip down to the end of the garden for the loo? Millions of Africans seem to manage.

They do, but they don't have the local neighbourhood watch to deal with!

I have three functioning toilets but still occasionally like to pìss out the back door on to the lawn.

Don't we all!
But do you crap on the lawn too? I am hoping not!

I am sure that a thoughtful installer has a camping toilet to make available.

Have a flushing one although I don't normally do bathrooms installs.

Tonby

It's actually better to talk to the installers, and see what they propose. They will invariably get the toilet working each night, but may leave you to have a wash in the kitchen sink for a couple of days. The shower tray can go in, and a piece of plastic secured with duct tape used for the shower panels whilst it's being tiled; but you'll very likely lose the use of the bath for a day or two. Where's you're local swimming pool.

A degree of tolerance and realism will be needed for a bathroom refit.

freedom-trail-portable-flush-toilet-p342818
Please tell me you're taking the piss?

Not at all!

Its probably one of these!

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-trail-portable-flush-toilet-p342818

Things can go wrong a small problem can escalate into a time waster, (wrong fittings,measurements out etc)
at worst allow for the Toilet pan be fitted to the waste pipe and use a bucket of water to flush it after use
Personal washing can be done elsewhere ( using the bucket if necessary)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back