Bathroom replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just got the keys to my new house and really want to replace the bathroom before i move in in 2 weeks time. By replace i mean everything, its all pink (including some pink mirror tiles :rolleyes: ). The layout is ok so the list of things i need to replace is:
1) Carpet with vinyl tiles
2) Tiles and vinyl wallpaper with non-pink tiles and vinyl wallpaper
3) bath, toilet and sink

I've got a diy book which tells me how to install most things, and i found an order to do things elsewhere on this forum , but there are a couple of htings that i'm a bit nervous of. The first is theres an electric shower above the bath in the vinyl wallpaper section and i'm wondering if i'm going to need to remove/tamper with that shower when i do the wallpapering or is there some easy way around this? The second is that the diy book suggests that if removing the basin is difficult i should just cut through the pipes, this seems a bit drastic to me and i was also wondering if you can still cap pipes if you cut through them?

Cheers for any info you can provide and any helpful tips on the process would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Please don't take this the wrong way but your post reads like this is your first big DIY project. If it is then I wouldn't suggest that a new bathroom is the best project to practise on.

Before you start you need to be sure that you have quite a few skills the most obvious one being basic plumbing - not to mention tiling, basic carpentry and decorating

In your post you say that you are moving in in two weeks - doing a good job on fitting a bathroom is going to take you a significant amount of time.

If you are going to do the job yourself then I would strongly suggest that you try to recuit some help - maybe friends who have done similar jobs themselves?

In response to your specific questions

1) Don't wallpaper around shower units - tiled walls are a much better bet
If you do remove the cover or the unit then make sure that the electric supply is isolated at the main fuseboard
2) Yes you can cap pipes if they have been cut cleanly - but before you cut them make sure that you know they have been isolated and that they have been drained.

I hope that you are not offended - if you do decide to go ahead then if you have specific questions then there are plenty of people on the forum who will be happy to help you.

Good Luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back