Bathroom sealant question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I had my bathroom done about 6 months ago and so far everything is holding up well...no mould, the tiles are still on the walls etc!

The only thing I've notice is a very very narrow gap appearing between the sealant around the bath and my wall tiles. It's probably not much more than 1mm, possibly even less but it is noticeable - it's about 5cm long.

I had previous issues with water leaking through sealant and don't want a repeat - I also would rather not get the sealant replaced as the rest of it is as good as new. My question is, is there such a thing as a way to touch up sealant? i.e. a tube where you can apply a really really thin layer of sealant? Like I said, it's a very small gap but it would be good to close it up...

Rajan

Sponsored Links
It sounds like either the surface wasn't cleaned properly when it was sealed or the bath wasn't filled with water to weigh it down and now it is pulling on it when filled.

Silicone sticks to most things except itself so patching is not easy and unlikely to produce a good result. You could try masking the area off and then using a normal tube fill the gap and wipe away the excess but the best way is to remove all the existing silicone and redo. It cost less than a tenner and will only take you a couple of hours. Read up on how to do it properly and make sure to use a good quality sealant. Most people will recommend Dow Corning 785.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back