newbie advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, am in the process of removing the old sealant around the bath due to so big patched of built up and ingrained mould that can't otherwise be removed. I've a couple of questions about proceeding.

Firstly, there are some big gaps in places where the walls aren't as square as the bath is and where the tiles met from different ends and the previous builder/decorator used sealant to fill in holes up to 15mm in width to plug it with very little underneath - would it be better for me to put something into these gaps or should I just try and over fill them with sealant as they did? Secondly, due to these gaps, a lot of sealant has gone underneath the tiles - this is proving very difficult to remove, even with a hooked knife - how far do I need to persist in try to remove this - i'm worried that with nothing more than a black hole, a lot of old sealant behind the tiles, a new layer wont' have anything more than a small edge of outward facing tile and a lot of old sealant to adhere to. Should I try putting in some sort of filler between the gaps in the tiles before I add sealant on top? Or should I call in a professional and get it partly retilled?

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Normally where I come across larger gaps between tile/bath/wall. I would seal the gap with the same sealant that I am going to seal the rest of the area with.
I think some pictures of your issues would help.
With regards to removing existing sealants, take off as much as you can, but any sealant that has found itself behind tiles, I would just leave providing is does not stop me from getting a smooth sealed finish.

And don't forget: do NOT lick your finger to smooth the sealant; saliva destroys the antifugal, which is why mould so often loves to grow on sealant! Use clean water.

thanks, not sure pictures would show much other than the gaps, now sealant free, between the tiles. the remaining sealant is stuck to the back of the tiles. More worried that there's nothing for the sealant to sit on - if just pushing more sealant in will do the trick, I'll try that - thanks for the tip concerning smoothing the sealant, I'll remember to use tapwater and not spit. Cheers

Sponsored Links
So - I'll have a go with the variable sized amounts of sealant - but another issue has arrisen - pulling away the sealant in the shower/tap end of the bath has been nice and clean and mostly mould free. Unfortunately, pulling it away from the head end of the bath has revealed it there to be black and manky underneath (though pristine on top..) - the gap between bath and tile here is only a couple of mm at most, so I'm unable to get much in the way of tools in there other than a knife to scrape out the gunk.

It surprises me, as this area appears to have been well sealed, with no cracked tiles and doesn't get particularly wet - Is there anything I can do before re-sealing it? I could let some fluid (bleach?) soak into the gap, but entirely unsure of that would do any good at all - should I just reseal it and resign myself to having to redo it in a few years or whenever the bathroom gets refitted?

OP, look under the bath and see if any moisture has dribbled down, esp at the head of the bath.
Photos do help the people who are trying to help you - I'd suggest that you dont make the calls otherwise why come on here for help?
Photos would show the state of the tile and grouting and reveal other variables to the experienced eye.
Sometimes, when sealing has failed, its the case that the bottom course of tile has to be removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back