Bathroom skim for a novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people im stripping my small bathroom and am just looking to skim and paint.
My plasterer is in hospital at the minite.i was wondering could a total plastering novice skim the room,not ceiling,by just watching youtube videos.or could it go really really wrong for me.
How hard is skimming.

Attachments

• C6B1D424-FBFD-48EF-A55C-6C4861DFF1D8.jpeg
    C6B1D424-FBFD-48EF-A55C-6C4861DFF1D8.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 289
Sponsored Links
You wont know till you try, kill the suction with plenty of pva and give it a go.
You may surprise yourself.
Mind post pics.

As Alastair says, give it a go, but there's bit of prep required. A plasterer would have no problem with that if you decide not to go for it.

Have a look at the skill builder YouTube video. Useful information from a tooling and technique perspective and you can determine if it is for you

Sponsored Links
your photo shows you intend to tile wet walls - you dont use PVA on wet walls.
suction can be taken up with simple water spraying.
no need to skim - tiling on to a skim is a bad practice esp. with modern large, heavy tiles. dont make work.
the blockwork appears to be in good nick so no need for any other preparation -
just set out your control lines, and then comb the wall and butter the tile, and then tile away.
combing and buttering allow you to pickup any dips etc. more control over the material.

to do a proper job on the return wall its best to remove all and any fixtures from the wall and later fix them back on to the tiled surface - dont attempt to tile up to or around a fixture.
same applies, fwiw, for any floor tiling.

use bagged powdered adhesive - stay away from tub mastic.

believe me, if you can tile on to tile with the correct prep and adhesive you can tile on to bonding - which i've done, many times.
bonding seems to suck the tile in and give it a firm background.
this nonsense about not tiling on to bonding was put out by some Mfr's so that we would buy more of their priming concotions - take out the suction and bonding is good to go.

The plaster manufacturers advise against tiling directly to bonding.
Tile manufacturers advise against it.
Something to do with the bonding pulling the moisture from the adhesive and weakening it...even with suction control.

Last edited:
I wasent planning on using tiles strangley enough.having a right game stripping the bleeders off.was just gonna plaster then brilliant white paint and keep it as simple as possible.
Thanks for the replys.

in that case you'll have no problem skimming and painting.
but if there is a step up when you come to what looks like solid plaster then there will be a difficulty.

fwiw:paint exposed to constant moisture at the bath rim will begin to fail.
i prersume that the same bath tub is going back into the same position?

Its ok i decided against doing it myself and hired a professional to do it.£150 quid.money well spent.

Attachments

• AC247C65-C95F-470C-BFE7-FD3B925C006E.jpeg
    AC247C65-C95F-470C-BFE7-FD3B925C006E.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 811CD139-AB6D-4652-96CC-033BDFC65349.jpeg
    811CD139-AB6D-4652-96CC-033BDFC65349.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 12ECFB41-2F5B-49D1-8597-10F2D638F547.jpeg
    12ECFB41-2F5B-49D1-8597-10F2D638F547.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 254

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back