Bathroom suite issues

Get

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have been reading various posts on here as I try to modernise a Victorian money pit, and found them very useful. I’ve recently moved on to the bathroom – an area I know very little about. The room is tiny (approx 1550mm x 1800mm) and an odd shape (rectangle with a large bit of the corner cut off, where the door is). In the next 5 - 10 years we intend to extend the bathroom, but we need some changes to tide us over – and I have all sorts of questions…

There’s currently a 1500mm bath, in stained and faded blue acrylic. We’d quite like unstained white. So the bath question is: recolour or replace? Any thoughts on what’s easier / more cost effective / likely to give us the best finish? Looks like we might be able to get a replacement for between £100 and £150 (but it wouldn’t be a great one, and it’s a bit much for a temporary-ish fix which is a compromise)…

On that subject – probably a stupid idea, but is it possible to build a bath? Say, a wooden tub lined & tiled (1st floor on floorboards, with lathe and plaster walls, in case that makes any difference whatsoever)? Why not?

Next question is about the toilet… the one currently there is also blue, and doesn’t function very well (occasionally blocks, and solids fairly often fail to flush, or come back in after flush). For these reasons, we intend to replace. The current one has an S-trap (I believe that’s what it’s called following lots of internetting). Problem is, the centre of the soil pipe coming through the floor is approx 220mm from the wall. This means that any standard P-trap toilet plus connector would be sticking miles out into the room (as mentioned, the bathroom is tiny, so boxing in to accommodate this is not an option). Normal S-trap toilets (which are rare but do exist) would have the same problem, because they seem to be designed for soil pipes very close to the wall. Now, Twyfords do seem to produce a couple of models with the perfect offset from the wall, but as far as the internet can tell me, they don’t sell in the UK – at least, I haven’t found anyone who can supply one yet. If I do get one of these, I suspect that it might have to be a special order, and therefore costly.

So the question is: carry on trying to get hold of a suitable toilet (which we can reuse when we redo the bathroom in the future) or just move the soil pipe closer to the wall & get a standard S-trap or a P-trap & connector? I have no idea of the size of this job, so would be grateful for any thoughts on this.

Another option would be to move the soil pipe to the corner of the room and get a corner toilet, which would have the added bonus of getting us a bit more space. Again, I have no idea what sort of size this job is, but I know it’s tied in with soil pipe angles (which may also be connected with the problems we currently have, so I understand), but I don’t know how to calculate “the drop”. Is it from outlet on the toilet to where the pipe joins the soil stack? Or the angle of the horizontal pipe from bottom of the S-trap to where it passes through the wall? Or some other points?

Thanks very much for any help you can give me on these problems

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back