Bathroom switches and Building Regulations Certificates

Do you mean they are only allowed to certify their own work or many will not certify unless they did it themselves?

Sponsored Links
There are always bent ones who will take money to falsify official documents.

There are always bent ones who will take money to falsify official documents.
Sure, there are bent ones in virtually every trade, profession and walk of life - but that obviously does not render their bent practices 'allowed'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm not looking to falsify documents or get a 'bent' certificate.

It's no different to getting an electrical cert when its needed for a rental property or for peace of mind when buying a new house. Everything is checked and if it passes there you go, if it does not then they advise you what needs to be done before it will.

Just to clarify, you're saying that they are not allowed to or are not likely to?

In my profession I oftne check work that I have not done, its legal and saves the client money . . .

This is hard work!

I'm not looking to falsify documents or get a 'bent' certificate.

It's no different to getting an electrical cert when its needed for a rental property or for peace of mind when buying a new house. Everything is checked and if it passes there you go, if it does not then they advise you what needs to be done before it will.
That is different. After an inspection you will get an Installation Condition Report. After work is done you get an Installation Certificate. Different process, different document.
Just to clarify, you're saying that they are not allowed to or are not likely to?
Not allowed to
In my profession I oftne check work that I have not done, its legal and saves the client money . . .

This is hard work!

It's no different to getting an electrical cert when its needed for a rental property or for peace of mind when buying a new house. Everything is checked and if it passes there you go
Well, actually, there you don't go, because it isn't the same.

It really depends on what you really mean by "certification".

Although it's not mandated by law, the work you describe should have an Electrical Installation Certificate - "should" as in "it would be expected to have, and not having one could easily be viewed negatively".

That means the electrician signing this declaration:

I being the person responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing, hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to .............(date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows.

And that is what he may not do if he has not been responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing of the electrical installation, i.e. if you get him in to "certify" your DIY work.

The second aspect to "certification" is that of Building Regulations compliance, and that is something which is mandated by law, and without which a sale of the property could be compromised.

And again, an electrician may not declare that he did the work and that it complied with the Building Regulations unless he did actually do it, i.e. you may not get him in to "certify" your DIY work.

What you could get him to do is an Electrical Installation Condition Report (used to be called a Periodic Inspection Report), and if you have notified the work to your council's Building Control department (and paid their fee), and if they have said that they'll accept an EICR from your electrician as proof that your electrical work complies with the Building Regulations then you'll get a Completion Certificate from them, but no EIC.

That's helpful, thanks.

Yes the work has gone through Building Control, Building Inspector satisfied with all the work and signed off that part a few weeks ago which was great news as long project.

He said just send him a cert for the electrics and he will send completion cert, which as you say will be needed if I ever sell the house.

So I guess I need to clarify with him whether I need a EIC or EICR?

He said just send him a cert for the electrics and he will send completion cert, which as you say will be needed if I ever sell the house.
So I guess I need to clarify with him whether I need a EIC or EICR?
Yes, you need to get the answer to that clear in your mind. Although some LABCs seem to be a law unto themselves, what they ought to ask for is an EIC.

Just to clarify, since you may be wondering why there is 'a fuss' about the difference between the two certificates, an EICR (which, as has been said, could be provided by any electrician) relates to the result of inspecting and testing an installation as far as is possible. What it can't certify, is what is going on 'out of sight' (e.g. where and how cables are routed, whether there are any hidden joints etc. etc.) - so only the person who has undertaken the work can certify (by an IEC) that those hidden parts have been installed in compliance with regulations.

Kind Regards, John

It's an imperfect analogy, but it's a little like building your own car from scratch and getting an MOT certificate as proof that what you built complies with all of the legislation about how cars should be built...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back